The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear lubricant

mitsuturbo

100_1736.jpg

This was in my 4 bolt rear case when i tore it apart. What the hell is it?
Is it any good?

Barnes

Looks like Redline Heavyweight Shockproof to me.

Barnes

Oh yeah, forgot that bit.

mitsuturbo

I found that image on vwvortex by way of a google search. There was a lot of negative talk about this particular lube not properly cooling and lubricating, and being good only for track use. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? It made it seem as if there was ZERO backlash in the diff. It's very thick lubricant. It seems like it would suspend particles very well and inhibit undue wear. I remember reading about redline shock proof on www.dsm.org, some ten years ago.
Having never run the stuff, i wonder how it's been proven to work well (or not so much) over the years. I can see that it would cause some parasitic drivetrain loss, especially in colder climates, but it seems like it would be good stuff. It definitely STICKS to metal parts, which is a very good thing.

Last edited:

Its good for a rear end but there are people that put it in their trannies and its WAY too thick for the passages.

Tre3zy

i use redline for my tranny but not the heavy duty shock proof

+1 for Redline Heavyweight Shockproof

I use it in my dif and tcase. BG Synchroshift 2 for the trans.

MMCVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
100_1736.jpg

What the hell is it? Is it any good?

Pepto Bismol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use Redline Heavyweight Shockproof & BG Synchroshift II in the rear diff as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts