The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

garrett turbo exchange/service program

Captn

Has anyone ever done this before? Seems like a pretty simple process...

Does anyone know how they determine if your turbo is covered by the program?

I have a gt3076r that needs an exchange.

Last edited:

MX4

Yes did it about 9 months ago through atpturbo.com. Pretty straight forward. I believe at least one wheel has to be in undamaged condition. Basically you send it in and they quickly check it over. When I sent mine in they checked it over whilst on the phone to me so it must be a fairly basic check over.

Last edited:

Captn

I have been reading a thread on tooners... They said as long as the bearings are in decent shape they will exchange it.

Did you take off your turbine housing or not? or did you send it all?

My turbine wheel looks like its in good shape but the compressor is another story... The housing isn't in the best shape either.

MX4

I only sent in my CHRA. Didn't send my housings. You could be right about the bearings, the bearings on mine were fine.

Captn

Yeah I just talked to someone about it, they said I can send in the whole thing just give them a note asking what to do.

I would hope they would give everything back that was sent.

Only issue I have is my compressor housing isn't in the best shape, there is a little gap between the bracket and the housing = nice size boost leak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Captn

So I sent my turbo to Tial Sport.

After inspection they said I was not eligible for an exchange. The bearings have to be near catastrophic failure and mine were apparently fine.

The guy I talked to said they can have it rebuilt which was nice, at about half the cost of the exchange.

So I agreed to have it sent out to be rebuilt and two days later I get a call saying there are problems! I bought my 30r used about a year ago, I don't know if I would do this again...

So the bearings were fine but I was told the bearing housing looked like it was hit with a hammer... It was cracked and then filled with epoxy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek2.gif

So now it is costing me about 500$+ to get it rebuilt. So what was a 495$ exchange to a 250$ rebuild is now costing me more than expected.

I will be happy when I have a basically brand new turbo though!

I wasn't sure that Ball bearing turbos could be rebuilt, I am very happy that someone does it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned