The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Finding a replacement CHRA - FP3065

DynastyLCD

i've been on the hunt for a new CHRA for my FP3065. just trying to verify a few things here.

a: this turbo is basically, a garrett 3082, no?
b: where can i get another center section?
c: is it possible to take a 3582r CHRA, and retrofit it with the 30r exhaust wheel? or the latter?

they have BB rebuild kits i found in a google search, but im not sure that i would honestly trust them. i feel like i might try that after i get a CHRA. the only one i could find was almost $900... i emailed the almighty FP with no response. i asked them how much a CHRA was outright, and if they took part in the garrett BB service program. no response. and according to the garrett BB service program, your turbo needs to be inspected by a reputable garrett dealer before they make a choice.

thoughts? opinions? halp me?

mitsuturbo

Yes, it is a GT3082r CHRA. Sometimes also referred to as a GT3040r.

I've found them for sale in the $900 range. This is what i'll be replacing my 3052 (GT3076r) CHRA with when it takes a dump, since i have a spare compressor housing for the 3082 already.

Last edited:

G

Staff member

turbofonz

I would just call FP. It isn't going to be cheap. Get the HTA wheel on it while you're at it:)

MX4

You are going to be loving this!! click

They replaced my GT3582R CHRA that had a chewed exhaust wheel from something going through it. www.atpturbo.com handle the service on behalf of Garrett. My CHRA was $500ish compared to over $1000 at full retail. And they CHRA they supply is a brand new one, not re-manufactured as I had read elsewhere. If you dont have a CHRA now you might be able to find a damaged one cheap.

DynastyLCD

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Yes, it is a GT3082r CHRA. Sometimes also referred to as a GT3040r.

I've found them for sale in the $900 range. This is what i'll be replacing my 3052 (GT3076r) CHRA with when it takes a dump, since i have a spare compressor housing for the 3082 already.

MT, i absolutely loved my 3052. in fact, after looking at CHRA's in the $900 range, i've considered picking up a GTX3076r, as they sell them without the exhaust housing. slip it into my FP exhaust, and you have a 3052 on 'roids. supposed to flow upwards of 60+ lbs/mn, but spool like a regular 3076r.

Quoting turbofonz:
I would just call FP. It isn't going to be cheap. Get the HTA wheel on it while you're at it:)

the 3065 with an 82mm billet wheel would be nuts! $700 for a wheel and balance though... plus a CHRA on top of that? yikes! i feel like it would almost be worth buying another turbo at that point. how do you like your HTA76 so far? did you ever ride in or drive a non-HTA version? im curious of the comparison.

yesterday the mad local mad turbo scientist/rebuilder Chris (Galanttuner10) came by and we did some research. apparently we can get just the seals to fix it, from Garrett. since the turbo has no unusual play, spins like a dream, and no oil in the exhaust side, we may attempt to re-seal this CHRA and run it. he actually found a place that rebuilds BB turbos, sells the rebuild kit, and they do CHRA balancing for only $50. might go that route just for peace of mind.

part of this was due to my ignorance in thinking. i've always been under the impression that BB turbos cannot be serviced or repaired in any way, shape, or form.

turbofonz

I love the HTA, but can't compare to any other ones. The car's moving and still has a lot left on the table.

And like an HTA 30r, it'll strip 3rd gear. I just did on the weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts