The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GSX NA to 4g63t questions.....

So I picked up a minty fresh 90 Galant GSX for $500 the other day. I have been trying to do some research on swapping it but not finding anything really. I have a fully built 4g63 to drop in. I decided not to put it in the colt due to fwd and that the awd conversion would be too much of a project for now. Been looking for a summit van but came across this first on craigslist. So I was wondering if anyone here had done the swap before and had some good info/pointers. From what I understand the whole drivetrain will work?.?.? But it supposedly will not hold much power and has a different final drive ratio. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true. Also seems like the wiring harness will work fine just need to pin in the knock sensor and an injector resistor box. Will the motor mount right up with the stock mounts. I also have a donor 91 talon tsi for the project. So I wonder if I would be better off just pulling the whole drivetrain out of the talon and putting it in the galant or just keeping the stock drivetrain. Any help or input would be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

cspetros

Here are some posts that may help you: GSX Info. You're right about the drivetrain. It will take a dump. The engine will mount up. Few people condone such molestation of a stock G-GSX, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But if you're determined, more power to you.

Last edited:

lots of good info. hmmm... Now I am going back and forth on where to go with it...

If he puts all the smog equipment that came with the 4g63T he can go down to the state ref and have it inspected. If it passes the will put a Bar Label on it and it can go to any smog station after that when smog is due. But he has to use all the emissions equipment that came with the turbo engine.

actually I dont have to do any of that. I am in the military so I register all of my cars back in Indiana becuase it is my homy home of record. And Indiana is nice enough to have no emissions. So cops dont harass me at all becuase of my plates. I mean I roll around town in my colt open downpipe and dont get messed with by the cops.

1990ggsxnj

Wish I lived in Indiana /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

TakumiJr

I have a ggsx converted to 4g63t, I'm running a full dsm drivetrain. DSM tranny,axles,tcase,gvr4 driveshaft, and 4 bolt rear end. I'm not sure if yours is manual or auto, mine was auto so I had to do the full swap. I would personally drop the drivetrain from your donor's car. I'm using the original wiring harness with the things you said wired in, but if I were to do it again it would be to find a galant vr4 wiring harness to save the headache. I'm running the factory mounts minus the tranny mount from a vr4.

Last edited:

That answers some more questions thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned