The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant eating ECU's

mitsu90

It has been awhile. But I am still having this problem. I burnt ECU #4. It is the same as the others same green crud and same cap burnt. I will get pix of everything in the daytime..I only have one ECU left and it's my good eprom, I need to solve this problem once and for all.

spoulson

It is worth having a skilled craftsman repair an ECU with leaky caps. Jeff O fixed mine back in 2004 with acid damage to a significant portion of an injector driver trace, and it's still running smooth to this day.

gvr4ever

Are any of the ECU wires spliced in to? Not sure what the green stuff is, but is sounds like some sort of chemical reaction. Why it would be on the plug is strange. Is this on the outside of the cover? While I guess it's possible that you fried all those ECUs, it doesn't seem likely that you could in such a short period of time, unless something besides leaky caps was a problem.

mitsu90

Quoting rgeier11:
Where are you located in IL?

Pekin, Peoria area

mitsu90

Quoting gvr4ever:
Are any of the ECU wires spliced in to? Not sure what the green stuff is, but is sounds like some sort of chemical reaction. Why it would be on the plug is strange. Is this on the outside of the cover? While I guess it's possible that you fried all those ECUs, it doesn't seem likely that you could in such a short period of time, unless something besides leaky caps was a problem.

When I lost the first ECU there was a SAFC in the car.

The green stuff is only on the middle plug, but it ends up on the middle socket on the ECU as well.

mitsu90

Couple pix

l_7323f6e822b94556a5e660d1261392b3.jpg

l_b4731c03d89342e8b446309ec9df1ceb.jpg

l_61e1f0e4603c4276957b7cafac360cfc.jpg

spooling92vr4

that green sh*t is corrosion, are you just plugging the other ecus back in without cleaning that sh*t off first?

gvr4ever

If it were my car, I think I'd want to get a unhacked harness in before trying a good ECU.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, you have water and corrosion in the harness. You are going to have to eliminate that before you will have any success.

Peel off some of the insulation on the suspect wires some distance away from the plug so you can get some idea of how far the corrosion goes. Inside the wires you will never eliminate it from inside the insulation. You are going to have to splice in good wire.

mitsu90

How hard would it be to just replace the harness? I don't trust my soldering skills to splice a whole new plug on there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

mitsu90

Quoting spooling92vr4:
that green sh*t is corrosion, are you just plugging the other ecus back in without cleaning that sh*t off first?

No I clean it the best I can and it keeps coming back.

spooling92vr4

do you have a wheel well cover on that side of the car? there has to be a good amount of moisture getting in there to cause that.

mitsu90

Yes there is a wheel well cover, And thats side of the floor as never been wet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned