The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel cut

14u2nV

What is it that decides when you hit it? My last galant, I was running 15psi, and never hit it on a stock chip. My current galant has a stock chip, and I am hitting it everytime I hit full boost which is set at 12psi. Car runs perfect, pulls hard up to about 11psi, then feels like I hit a tree. It's very annoying as every time I try to pass someone it goes to full boost. Is there anything besides the chip that can help this? I am getting the chip either this weekend or next (whenever my chip programmer gets on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ), but is there anything I should look for that is bringing this on? I never had it in my last car so I never got into researching it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ktmrider

MAF determines it IIRC.

Stock 1g MAF would cut around 15psi, lower if you have a leak somewhere.

1990ggsxnj

^^ If you have a boost leak the air being pulled in by the turbo will be read by the MAF but when it leaks out through a leak the pressure will be less on your boost gauge. Do a Boost Leak Test.

jepherz

Staff member
The ECU determines when to hit "fuel cut" based on how much oxygen is entering the intake. Colder temps result in more air, so this would increase the potential. Like mentioned, a boost leak could also cause it, although not likely in your case. Or possibly your maft is tuned to cause it, telling the ECU there is actually more air entering the combustion chamber than there actually is.

14u2nV

Ok, I changed the MAFT settings and now it stumbles a little at take-off, but runs like a bat-outta-hell when boost kicks in. It also tops at 12psi with no fuel cut. It is set at stock injectors, but for a 2g instead of 1g. Had it set at 1g and that is where I was getting fuel cut. I have read somewhere that sometimes you have to set it for 3.5" maf even though only using a 3", but I never saw why. Could that be my issue? I'm stumped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned