The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Consumption and Fuel Octane

cheekychimp

Tim,

I still remember that thread in fact I have it saved. It was that thread that made me realize we probably misdiagnosed an earlier idling issue and unnecessarily swapped ECU wires on the project car. I'm think back then I only had the one VR4. I can check the ECU in the daily and see if it corresponds to any of those likely compatible units. To be honest though, I'm not sure as long as the board is socketed it will make a lot of difference (well assuming the ECU is post 1989).

I actually asked the guys at ECMLink if the chip would work in a JDM car and they said they just didn't know. They bench tested a really nice 1994 factory re manufactured ECU that I sent them and said everything looked great. They said I would lose native control of the cyclone because of the U.S. ECU code but they said other than that it should theoretically work. I've just never confirmed it or actually heard of anyone using ECMLink in a JDM ECU or in a JDM car.

I have to find time to do it, it is so stupid not to when everything is sitting right there.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Do it!!!!!

I know how you feel.
You'd be the first we've read about, actually proving this point and writing it up on the interweb.

This would put to rest the many fears of users from outside the US, that there is hope in a software/pggyback scenario for them, without going full standalone.

turdb0

Quoting cheekychimp:
Oh tell me about it! When it's quiet those roads are FUN but in rush hour, nose to tail, all stop and go ... AND on those steep inclines ... no fun at all. Do you still come over here? You should look me up if you do, I'm always up for meeting other members if the opportunity presents itself.

Was in HK for a few days, I have family there so I visit once in a while. I see those tourists in the MIDDLE of the road (Wong Ngai Cheung Gap Road?) next to my sister's place, taking pictures of a building I was like WTF they taking pictures of the building for? Then my sister tells me it's because Lee Gashing lives in the building.

I'll probably drop by next summer... We'll see.

cheekychimp

Really? Well it wouldn't surprise me. He has property everywhere. He always used to live in some mansion over looking the Deep Water Bay Golf Club. We picked up some drunk there one day hammering on his front gate yelling that LI Ka-shing owed him money ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif If you do come over be sure to let me know.

cheekychimp

Tim,

I'll definitely do my best. I have been planning to get a few lads round for tinkering session one weekend to be followed by some food and a few beers. Both cars are at my place now so there is really no excuse.

Coltsfan

Quoting cheekychimp:
but the first tank of regular I use and I get 404 kilometres and I figure I've still got 40 km in the tank. I've owned this car for over three years now and I have never got over 400 km out of a tank.

I was thinking my 300+ miles out of a tank was bad. Now I suppose it's not so bad. My Accord was getting 400+ miles from a tank. Both all highway of course.

cheekychimp

Yeah, I think you get considerably better mileage on 'real' highway driving. Here in Hong Kong I'm lucky to be able to go 30 mins without hitting a stop sign or red light.

prove_it

Long story short, you'll get better power and fuel mileage with a proper tune any day.

cheekychimp

Yeah, time to bite the bullet, I know. It is just that there is no-one here who knows anything about DSMLink/ECMLink. Realistically that shouldn't make any difference. If everything functions correctly and I can take any tuner through the GUI/menu they should be able to tune the car as they do with any other standalone, probably just slightly slower due to a lack of familiarity with the program. I'll also probably have to fumble about in the dark for a few weeks whilst I try to get a driveable tune and get familiar with everything before paying for dyno/tuner time. I know I can probably teach myself a lot but I doubt realistically I'll be able to do better than people who do it for a living.

What I think I should do however is get the EVO III turbo and FP manifold on the car, make a decision about which cams to run (stock or the 264/272 combo I have on the shelf) and then dyno the car to get some baseline power/torque figures. At least then I'll know if the tuner has done a reasonable job when he's finished.

Last edited:

prove_it

I'd agree to that. Get your long term goals lined up with the short term, as long as your not going to spend the time to tune yourself. Honestly though, Link is very user friendly, and a smart guy like yourself could get it all figured out in a weekend. It's not as hard as you seem to think and your not building from scratch. As long as all the settings are right, then she'll run just fine and can be driven cautiously to the tuner.

I'd recommend spending some time on the EcmLink forum. There is more info there than I could ever give you. Plus it will shed some light on how easy it can really be to use.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned