The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Gauge interest group buy Front air diverter

marvinmadman

I guess that won't work for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I also still have the bump stops that are next to the grille.

Last edited:

jeverts

Bump stops are not a problem I can add holes for that. But the head lights hmmm. How many people don't have the headlight mounts? I suppose I could make a tab that comes up and mounts to that first fender bolt? There really isn't any place to bolt this down.

Quoting marvinmadman:
I guess that won't work for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I also still have the bump stops that are next to the grille.

Last edited:

marvinmadman

I've never seen your version of these headlights. Looks aftermarket

marvinmadman

I'd be totally fine with having it bolt down to the existing holes on the bump stop brackets and just having the diverted over bent so it applies tension on the ends once bolted down. Then use a piece of self adhesive foam under the ends so it doesn't rattle.

GSTwithPSI

Unless the material is flimsy sheet metal, you won't even need a mounting point over the headlight. If the piece is decently thick and rigid, rattling won't be an issue. The design looks good as is IMO. There's no need for mounting points over the headlights.

marvinmadman

Another issue I see with OEM headlights is the that the brackets stick up higher than the actual headlight.

jeverts

I am wondering if this would be better if we just go with the middle section and not have it go over the head lights?

GSTwithPSI

My 91 has headlights just like Jeverts'. My 92 has headlights like Marvin's. However, both light designs sit well below the core support. If the diverter was designed in a way to bolt down in the center near the hood latch, and then the wings sloped up and followed a line just below the top edge of the core support, it would work fine for both cars.

An air diverter that doesn't span the length of the core support isn't really functional as air diverter, IMO. It's just for looks at that point. That's why I personally would only be interested in this if it was a full length panel. Either way, I appreciate the effort Jason is putting into this, and am looking forward to seeing what happens with the design.

Like so:

Last edited:

fuel

the stock diesel E34A diverter only covers the top of the grill so I would think if it were good enough for Mitsubishi, then a full length one isn't required. However I think going over the headlamps would look nicer and would make it look a bit more modern.

prove_it

I don't see how forcing air over the rear of the headlights would be beneficial. Your far better off having the middle section only, then applying some sort of side barrier that would duct the air through the core. Even with the headlights covered, air will still travel around the core, especially if your IC pipes travel through the side of the radiator. It still helps, but a center section, like the OEM diesel, will be just fine. You won't see a dramatic difference without the sides of the core being blocked off anyway.

I said it before, the design will be simpler, cleaner, cheaper to ship if it were a center section only. Covering the headlights is a cosmetic design.

1/8th in aluminum that has 12 inches of unsupported length WILL rattle and vibrate with a car that has poly mounts. Putting foam tape in places to stop that works, but then I'm not going to spend 200 bucks shipped on a noisy non fully attached air diverter.

With that said, the design does look great though.

jeverts

giphy.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Gotta love the design input process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jeverts

Something I have learned to deal with, I have to do it everyday.

The best is when I suggest to do it one way, (the easy effect way) and get told no, and then make it the way they want it and it be becomes a pain in the ass and then get bitched at when it cost to much. This does not apply to this, more so other things.

I don't mind the feed back it helps with making the correct product the first time.

prove_it

Don't you know that your customers that have experience limited to forum reading and super street drooling know more than you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned