The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fiberglassing the vr4 body parts

James

I picked up the front fender molding / side skirts / rear doglegs from a buddy of mine to put on my GSX.

Well, they don't like up! There's about a half inch gap between the side skirt and one end (if I start at the back the gap is between the skirt and fender molding) and the other way around.

So my plan was this... I don't plan to take these parts off once they are on.

I'm going to get self tapping screws and screw the parts in place to where the lines are perfect all the way across, then fill in the gaps with fiberglass to make it all one piece....

Is there some terrible thing I'm missing as to why this would be a horrible idea?

JNR

How come you would go thru the trouble of 'glass on those parts, unless you couldn't find an original? Just seems like those parts (even the fenders) are so light from the factory, guess I don't see the reasoning in putting on a sub-par piece(s)...I can see a hood though, since it's pretty darn heavy and *maybe* a trunk lid, even though all the sheet metal on these cars is typical japanese-thin.

LIV4PSI

You completely missed what he is asking JNR.

I think it would eventually warp or crack from flexing. I'm no body guy though.

asmo

you can get the extreme demensions skirts for like $100 right now they fit pretty good and really dont look too bad, there a mix between the evo1-3 skirts and ours, plus they actually have the doglegs and front fender skirt moulded to them. Ill find a pic tonite. the pics they have online suck.

James

I have all three parts. They don't line up. There's a Half inch gap where it should be flush. They came off of. Vr4

JNR

Quoting LIV4PSI:
You completely missed what he is asking JNR.

I think it would eventually warp or crack from flexing. I'm no body guy though.

Oh yeah, duh...that's what happens when I do a quick response at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

but to answer the question then, Id agree you'll take a chance of it cracking after awhile. I had a friend who did this to his celica, where he had all the body pieces molded together to one another and to the body...it actually looked good, but did start cracking after while. I think in theory it's a good idea, just with the different materials, expansion, drying and all that agg some point something's going to give ansd it's usually the "filler" (resin) part of it. I'm sure it *can* be done though with some success.

James

BF9DBFFB-E8F3-4C45-BEF2-273E5CFD2ACF-4505-000004227E8DBFF9.jpg

donkeylips

I wouldn't do it. Chances are, somebody will want to take those parts off at some point in the future, and they will be pissed.

I would take it to a good body guy and let him figure out how to make them fit.

James

The next person to own this car is going to be the junkyard haha. I'm not worried about that part.

rdomeck

Alright, I'm a body guy and filling those gaps in with fiberglass is the wrong way to do it and it will look like sh*t! And it will crack in the very near future...... Find the correct pieces and do it the right way.

James

They ARE the correct pieces. That's my issue. They came off of a friends vr4

rdomeck

Quoting James:
They ARE the correct pieces. That's my issue. They came off of a friends vr4

If those are the correct pieces then you have a wheel base that is longer than normal......I doubt that's the case! Either someone has cut the center piece or the front off of the dog leg. Either way you need to find the pieces that fit correctly and not hack things up. Take some measurements off of your old ones? Take some measurements off of your friends VR4?

Your start hacking sh*t on your car and it will be worthless!

James

Doubtful, but maybe there's a small difference between the GSX and the vr4?

-Nothing has been cut on the moldings
-the rear dogleg sits flush with the wheelwell
-the front fender molding also sits flush.

JNR

How does your front fender (gap) sit in relation to the a-pillar? Basically, how far forward is it adjusted...Although can't imagine it being off *that* far...one of my fenders is relatively tight and the other has a larger gap (although not huge), but both the moldings seem to fit fine. I want to say there should be some gap between the dog leg and bottom skirt, although I'm talking about the piece that goes into the other and no gap between the actual pieces, if that makes sense.

I agree to see what the issue is first and go from there...the cars are basically the same other than the trim (and obvious engine/drivetrain, etc.), so it should work...unless the fender liner is totally different, causing the piece to stick forward too far; doubtful though...it's been awhile since I looked at mine and can't recall if it fits over or under the fender liner.

Shirley somebody else has done this...?

James

I'm going order a whole new set of clips an whatnot from JNZ the. Take it all off an try it again.

H05TYL

1/2" gap seems excessive, but if you shift the skirt over a bit you'll have an 1/8" gap at each end, which isn't too noticable (probably close to what they have stock, they certainly aren't totally flush from the factory).

James

I've got the passenger side to where I'm content with looking at it. But the driverside just won't work with me. I know the car was hit on the drive side but I would think that would push it all closer together if anything.

Just waitin on the clips from JNZ

GSX_TC

Well it being hit is probably the reason why it won't line up man.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned