The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

black fmic

trunks

So I'm going to finally put my jdm front bumper (and rear) on the car. Problem is it's cut out and my fmic doesn't fill the gap and it's not centered, So I was thinking that my exact same intercooler is on ebay in black and may look less obvious. You guys think it'll look okay? Any pics of black intercoolers? My wife is tired of car parts showing up at our door so I'm trying to keep the costs down.

On a side note, I had painted the car an after market silver but will be painting it the oem grace silver to go with the jdm hood, fenders, and bumpers I've bought as I want to have it be 'jdm' oem so to speak. This will be my 3rd time painting and I finally bought a devilbiss gun and along with my experience I believe I can do the car justice at long over do.

Cheers, Aaron

Dasith

can't wait to see it after u finish. You've those bumpers for quite a while now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GSTwithPSI

Quoting trunks:
So I'm going to finally put my jdm front bumper (and rear) on the car. Problem is it's cut out and my fmic doesn't fill the gap and it's not centered, So I was thinking that my exact same intercooler is on ebay in black and may look less obvious. You guys think it'll look okay? Any pics of black intercoolers? My wife is tired of car parts showing up at our door so I'm trying to keep the costs down.

On a side note, I had painted the car an after market silver but will be painting it the oem grace silver to go with the jdm hood, fenders, and bumpers I've bought as I want to have it be 'jdm' oem so to speak. This will be my 3rd time painting and I finally bought a devilbiss gun and along with my experience I believe I can do the car justice at long over do.

Cheers, Aaron

Devilbiss HVLP guns FTW. What kind/brand of paint are you using?

transparentdsm

you should messure the size of the hole and buy an ebay one that fills it in 100% then go to walmart and get a can of 99 cent black spray paint, use the can from like 2 feet away and lightly coat it till its covered with a solid dusting. then go about 1 foot away and give it one or two passes but not thick as to keep the fins cleared. its cheaper and more cost effective. i did this with my laser's intercooler for a while then i didnt like that you couldnt see the intercooler so i took some brake cleaner and cleaned it off but eft the end tanks black and i really like the way it looks now. just some food for thought.

brisvr4

I gave mine a very light coat of flat black to hide it a bit.
Doesn't seem to affect air temps ar all.

debc8cd3.jpg

a9ebaf22.jpg

trunks

I read a ton of forums and the devilbiss plus seemed the ticket. I read good things about Napa's crossfire paint so I was going to go that route - I think it's been renamed though but still good. I thought you couldn't spray paint intercoolers so that is fantastic news will definately go that route until I can fill the gap with a big one. I like the idea of not showing it off so much too. It looks great in those pics.

Don't worry Dasith I'll send you pics when it's done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I had my ETS core anodized black when I ordered it. As you can see, it works as advertised.

IMG165.jpg

rdomeck

click

If your interested! ^^^ I run a full fabrication shop and have a body and paint shop that I operate inside that business with a PPG paint mixing station and a full automotive down draft paint booth. I have been painting cars for 20 years. It is all in the prep work. It only takes me a day to paint a car, but months preparing it! Devilbiss isn't too bad of gun. If your going to spend your money on a gun, find a good used SATA on eBay. You can find them all day for $250 and if you watch them you can generally find a NR95 for $150 or so. Start with a 1.4 tip unless you want to get crazy on buying 5 guns. Also go buy the cheapest one you can to spray any primer that you plan on sanding. You never want to spray your top coat from the same gun as your primer. Your primer gun should have a big tip...I like a 2.0 or 2.2 tip. The smoother you put it on the smoother you can take it off!

trunks

Thanks for all the tips! I did buy a hf gun for priming as I read that as well about using a cheap gun for primer. I think the tip is like 1.8 or something though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned