The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust for $100? is it worth it?

hey guys, a fellow GVR-4'er up here in Alaska found a custom GVR-4 exhaust system for me for $100. its down pipe, flex, 2.5" straight out to a muffler + tip. wondering if its worth it if my stock exhaust is decently clean. and consider that we have emissions up here.

MMCVR4

What kind/type and the condition? The price sounds good for a turbo back, but 3" is the way to go.

AnotherNewb

There is nothing wrong with running a 2.5" exhaust as long as your not running a massive turbo. I think I heard it from Bushur that 2.5" was good to close to 400hp before back pressure became an issue. For most, 3" is way over kill and takes up too much ground clearance on a AWD set up.

For $100 it sounds like a deal considering there are not many options out there for us let alone Alaska. Is it kink bent or mandrel?

Diego

I've got 2.5"dp to 3" straight in a CMP muffler.... but its all CMP.... but 100 bucks if you don't get still buy it an sell it to us!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

ouch. ok sounds like im getting a new exhaust sysetem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i haven't checked it out yet but he says its in good shape. but i have to worry bout passing emissions tests up here. you have to have a cat and O2 sensor reading correctly to pass or you can get a pretty nasty ticket, multiple times... suck it. thanks guys.

Andrew

AnotherNewb

Quoting Vman911:
100 bucks is cheap.
I paid 350 for my 3" setup custom made. I even supplied the down pipe, muffler, cat.

I undercharged Dbossman when I did his 2g GSX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Shouldn't have a problem passing emissions with a properly tuned car and a good cat. o2 bungs are easy to weld in if there isn't one

My uncle has been passing emissions in NY for years in his FI 454 pick-up with NO cats. He swears by 2 bottles of gas dry in half a tank of gas for the sniffer test.

vrpower

Quoting Vman911:
100 bucks is cheap.
I paid 350 for my 3" setup custom made. I even supplied the down pipe, muffler, cat.

I undercharged Dbossman when I did his 2g GSX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Shouldn't have a problem passing emissions with a properly tuned car and a good cat. o2 bungs are easy to weld in if there isn't one

My uncle has been passing emissions in NY for years in his FI 454 pick-up with NO cats. He swears by 2 bottles of gas dry in half a tank of gas for the sniffer test.

vrpower

Last month
I had the luck to find a full, intact exhaust on a sedan. And with a little of jimmying off the pipes off the hangers I
Out down 45 dollars and had an entire exhaust.
I found the donor car in a yard with massive selection of Cars. But was lucky to find the car in the corner

Some things can't be bought

gvr4ever

I missed this. I'm running a turbo back 2.5" Running 20psi. The exhaust is not a bottle neck.

gvr4ever

As long as it has a high flow cat, emissions shouldn't be a problem. I may have thrown in some 89 octane (lowered the boost), and got the cat as hot as I could to pass IL emissions once.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned