The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evolution 8 rear Brembos --> Galant vr4

Will rear Evo 8 Brembos be a straight swap for my Galant, other then break lines and rotors? Anyone have anything to add? Ive found lots of answers about 2G, but no 1g or galant.
Thanks
Brian

i dont think they are or someone would have allready done it on here. Just throw some 3000gt front calipers on and be good to go.

prove_it

anything can be done though......
it's more about time and money......
which I'm it would take more than it's worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
let me know if you do find something.
I would like to do a swap if it's cheap.

Dialcaliper

If you're talking about the rear brakes in particular, definitely not. Evos, Subarus, 2G DSMs, and pretty much every other car that has fixed twin or four-pot calipers in the rear has a different hub design with a separate "drum" style parking brake inside.

You're pretty much stuck with single pot floating rear calipers that have a mechanical parking brake. Pretty much every rear upgrade is custom fab - noone offers a kit.

That said, you have a couple options:
1) Space the stock calipers out with a bracket to fit a bigger rotor - you'll still be stuck with solid unvented rotors though.
2) Find a newer car with a single pot mechanical parking brake and vented rotors and make custom brackets

If you want a dual pot or larger setup, you can fabricate custom brackets:
3) Use any rear caliper in conjunction with a cable operated "spot" caliper.
4) Use any rear caliper in conjunction with a hydraulic "line lock" - essentially a valve that pressurizes the brake system and keeps the rear, or all four brakes locked. (Not technically road legal, since if you have a brake failure, the line lock will no longer work as an E-brake)
5) A company called "Hi-spec" in the UK makes 2 and 4 pot calipers with parking brake mechanisms, but you'll still need to do a custom fab job to size the rotors and hats, make custom brackets, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention the line-lock option

Quoting racecarbrian:
Will rear Evo 8 Brembos be a straight swap for my Galant, other then break lines and rotors? Anyone have anything to add? Ive found lots of answers about 2G, but no 1g or galant.
Thanks
Brian

Last edited:

Dialcaliper

^ the Wilwood is still a single pot caliper. I looked into that, but it's got one problem. Compared to the stock piston diameter, the piston is smaller than the stock one (34mm to the stock 35mm). In order to even match the stopping power of the stock rear caliper (35mm), you'd have to have a huge, heavier rear rotor. On the plus side, you can run a vented .81 or 1.0" thick rotor, but you'd actually need a slightly larger rotor to match the stock caliper.

It's really meant for the average FWD car that comes with 30mm pistons or smaller on the rear calipers

Plus its a radial mount caliper, so you'd need to fab radial mount brackets...

Barnes

But it looks bad ass. So all your tech info is blah blah.

J/K. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

These are what I was wondering about..
5852767_20.jpeg

Found some more info. its a bolt on affair for 2G dsm.
So now the question. How hard is it to make 2g rear calipers work on our cars, if possible at all

Found some more info. its a bolt on affair for 2G dsm.
So now the question. How hard is it to make 2g rear calipers work on our cars, if possible at all
as far as bolting on goes, dust shield, break rotors, lines yes they will be different

I believe the reason they are bolt on for 2G DSM's is because the 2G's have the drum setup for the parking brake. Making these EVO calipers bolt to a GVR4/1G would be no big deal, it would be easy to fabricate a bracket to make them bolt up perfectly (if they don't bolt up already.) The problem is that you will no longer have a parking brake.

FCR

Maybe you can do that..........

belize1334

^^ He's got a secondary caliper on that which serves as the e-brake.

gtluke

if you are going to go through the trouble of making custom brakets and crap, just use mustang parts. same bolt patern, ebrake in the caliper. good size and easy upgrade path to cobra/cobraR and crap like that if you need massive brakes.
and i'm sure brembo and wilwood and all the other companies make bolt on upgraded calipers for the mustang bracket.
my next project is to get aluminum 99-04 mustang PBR calipers and rotors on my galant. they are light, large and fit under 16's

Quoting belize1334:
^^ He's got a secondary caliper on that which serves as the e-brake.

So they will work, accept no E brake then..? I want to just buy it and try, but dont want to be stuck with them

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned