The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo X turbos...

BrandonEchols

I've actually been slowly and silently pursuing this avenue.

I have been in touch with a fabricator who has built me an adaptor flange for the Evo 8-9 manifold, that enables you to bolt up the Evo 10 turbo - now granted, this still puts everything very much on the drivers side of the car, and would require you to relocate the alternator (likely the Jay Racing kit would be perfect) but it's what I have so far.

I wanted a cast twin scroll manifold for daily street use as there have been too many people who spend $700+ on a tubular mani only to have them crack from the heat cycling that daily driving sees - and cast manifolds for this application just aren't offered.

I should have the adaptor flange soon (was supposed to be mailed late last week) and I'll mock it up right quick and take some photos so you guys have an idea what's going on.

Another option would be to find someone (maybe a board member, or friend of one) who could do some CAD work on this, and make an offset flange that would still use the OEM Evo 8-9 manifold and move the turbo toward the passenger side of the car. You'd probably need someone with a 5-axis machine from the little I know...but it could be done.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

Thanks for your information.

I am not convinced that this level of effort is worth the output versus an evo316g. I guess I will stick to my original plan to sell off the X turbo and buy an evo316g. Thanks again guys.

cheekychimp

Quoting tsitalon1:
Cheeky, I am not sure that would be worth it. For the cost of the manifold you linked to I could buy a Evo316g.

Is there no other manifold solution?

Would an Evo9 manifold work?

Exactly why I haven't done it yet, but I do think the twin scroll would offer slightly better drivability than the EVOIII 16G and in order to bring the car into the 21st century and give it something that it really lacks over the later EVOs I still personally think the fabrication costs would be worth it given that once it was done you would have access to a huge number of twin scroll turbos from later model cars. It is the lack of that second hand market in turbos over here that is really keeping me from doing this. I don't want to be paying 1000 bucks or more a turbo if I have to buy new.

Brandon has got me thinking though. I would need to check again but I think the HKS cast manifolds are divided almost to the turbo flange. I wonder if an adapter of sorts and a little welding could get me in the ball park. If only someone did a small frame T4 twin scroll BB turbo for the price of an EVOIII16G.

BrandonEchols

Quoting tsitalon1:
Thanks for your information.

I am not convinced that this level of effort is worth the output versus an evo316g. I guess I will stick to my original plan to sell off the X turbo and buy an evo316g. Thanks again guys.

Honestly, I thought about that as well... but I really believe that it will be worth the payoff once it's done.
The adaptor was cheap (< $150), and now they can probably be made cheaper, since some of that was design time.

If there was an adaptor that was offset like I imagine, or even if we could get a company like FP or ERL to make us a cast manifold just like what have now - but in a twin scroll design - that would open up a lot of options for the entire early 4G63 market to do updates...I know everyone just wants to get a 16g and be done, but there's a reason they went to twin scroll designs.

Personally the sound of a twin scroll 20G with mostly OEM manifold and turbo parts is appealing to me, but I'd rather have 350-400 very useable HP with a great powerband than 500+ that only really comes on above 5k revs.

Very dependent on what kind of driving you do, and how unique you want your car to be.

Here are a couple pics to give an idea of the CAD mockup he did for the adaptor flange.
Once it's in I'll take pics and get more info out there - this could be a great alternative for the people who want a bit more power than the 16g, but also want to maintain great all-around drivability.

Last edited:

RedTwo

They already make and sell those, or at least something very similar.

This was on Ebay in June, but I can't find it any more.

Edit: Found it, it's listed as Evo 8 to 10 $99 USD + shipping

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

That's the same fellow I had make mine, and actually that's the one I bought originally thinking it would work - that actually flips the Evo 8-9 turbo 180* opposite, so you could potentially use it with our car.
Evo 10 flipped the flange the other way (left-to-right, instead of front-to-back), so I had him make the adjustments and I'm waiting on the new version to show up.

Last edited:

donniekak

A 20g in an undivided housing already spools to quick. I have mine setup for 32 psi. If i floor the car below 4000 rpms it surges horribly. Not just audibly, the boost gauge goes crazy and the car bucks badly. If it spooled any faster, it would break the shaft.

Although it would be nice to have a twin scroll setup to run the fp turbos that come in the evo housings.

Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting tsitalon1:

Personally the sound of a twin scroll 20G with mostly OEM manifold and turbo parts is appealing to me, but I'd rather have 350-400 very useable HP with a great powerband than 500+ that only really comes on above 5k revs.

BrandonEchols

Odd...everyone I've talked to has said the opposite.
You could go 25g, basically anytime you can have twin scroll that's a good thing, IMO

CutlassJim

Do you guys understand that if you just get an adapter that the twinscroll is not active any more? You need to keep the exhaust separate all the way from the valve to the turbine, not let it get mixed up in the factory collector. You NEED to have a custom manifold made. Otherwise you will just have a twinscroll turbo without the added spool and top end benefit and then you will bitch about how it wasn't worth the effort because it doesn't spool that much faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting curtis:

As you can see there's injector holes everywhere and there all going to be huge including the primaries on the engine itself. I think when all 10 are added together along with the large meth nozzles he'll be spraying around 16K cc/minute with a mechanical pump. I still have to weld on the peripheral port covers and the runners are already cut open for them but not in the pictures below.

I only see the two factory secondary injector bosses in the outer runners. The two bosses for the primary runners are on the middle iron.

EDIT: Oops I lied I now see the 4 additional injectors on the upper intake. Does the REW use the plastic injector diffusers like the TII? And if so are you using them on the upper runners? Fuel hates to take the curves it has to in those dang rotaries.

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

I'm talking about using the factory Evo 8-9 manifold and the 10 turbo, with an adaptor, that - as you can plainly see - keeps everything divided...I don't see where the twinscroll aspect becomes invalid...?

Whoodoo

Quoting cheekychimp:

Brandon has got me thinking though. I would need to check again but I think the HKS cast manifolds are divided almost to the turbo flange. I wonder if an adapter of sorts and a little welding could get me in the ball park. If only someone did a small frame T4 twin scroll BB turbo for the price of an EVOIII16G.

Yes, the HKS mani is divided up to the wastegate. There is a single wastegate at the back of the collector, which shouldn't affect any of the twin scroll benefits. Good luck finding one though... oh wait, Tyler's got one... and its sitting on the floor about 15 feet from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to either make an adapter plate, or weld on a new evo X style flange.

BrandonEchols

As promised, here are some pics of the adaptor flange. It's gone back and forth and couple times for adjustments (mostly where the threaded holes were). I'll get some pictures as soon as I'm able to mock it up and see what kind of fitment we're looking at.

Diego

Brandon, did you machine this, or is this that adapter plate from eBay...

Edit.. just read page 2 and seen you had ebay dude do it for you...

Good luck and document that swap over for the rest and everyone else that ask if we can do it

Diego

Last edited:

RedTwo

Need a boot up the bum to get my motor mock up sorted out, then I can try my crazy ideas out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

desant78

any updates on this thread? Saw good progress then it stopped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned