The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Suspension

Brunoboy

I am pickin up evi viii struts with tanabe GF210 springs, 1.5' drop in the front and 1' in the rear., i wonder how much wheel gap ill have .

curtis

I've moded up probably 10 sets for people on here and everyone that has ever done it loves them but that was also when the evo's first came out. Do yourself a favor and remove the hats and springs and inspect to make sure none are bad. Careful a loaded spring on a strut is a missile ready for launch. The old foot on the spring and impact gun removal are for the professions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously if your going to break them down to inspect its worth the money to carry them into a shop with a spring compressor and have them zip them off and back on after inspection.

Also in the how to section theres a few write ups on this and you can use the tops from an evo up front but you will have to drill holes because the evos are 3 on 120 degrees where the vr4 and dsm's are 3 on 90 and a 180 open span. The evo ones are a much better and more solid design. I installed mine first without and then changed them to the evos and could tell a huge improvement.

Brunoboy

Well Today I picked up a Set of EVO VIII Shocks with 70k on them, and Tanabe GF210 Springs and the guy included Front Tein Camber plates for $150. He just took the shocks off and told me it wasnt blown, if they are he said I can switch em with his other set if I were unhappy. anyways, how do you use the Evo Top hat? anyone have pics? and does anyone know how good this setup maybe?

Specs of Springs:
# Spring Rate: Front (4.4kg/mm), Rear (5.7kg/mm)
# Avg. Lower: Front (1.5"), Rear (0.6")

Tre3zy

you guys gotta search LOL here's curtis rite up....

click

Brunoboy

im lazy and still sick triz.

Tre3zy

that dont mean you cant search or read.... hahaha

Brunoboy

lol whatever, you going to bucks?

curtis

Quoting cherrod8:
Quoting curtis:
I've moded up probably 10 sets for people on here and everyone that has ever done it loves them but that was also when the evo's first came out. [/qoute]

Curtis what was the process? Did they send them to you and you mod it up and send it back? I'm asking because I want to get rid of my GCCoilover+AGX and try out the Evo route.

Most of the time the people just buy them online and ship them here. I do them up and ship them out. Saves on turn around time. Also some I've milled out the factory holes in the front hubs to except the larger evo bolts tosses in a few days of down time unless you have an extra set of front spindles to spare and can ship them out before or at the same time. Only thing is these are heavy when its the full set and have to ship to a business I think spindles and all four strut assemblies are around 125lbs shipping weight. If anyone is interested when the time comes just send me a PM I can usually turn them around in about 2 work days. Day to do it and a day for the paint to cure before getting wrapped.

Lofty

I compressed the springs with a compressor on my evo 8 struts, swapped tophats for just the galant top hat, now back together the galant vr4 tophat will not spin at all. It feels locked in place. What did I do wrong?
Figured I would bump this instead of make a new thread.

Lofty

Figured it out, forgive my suspension ignorance.

Incase anyone wants to know, both the GVR4 tophats and the metal perches that hold the spring down must be swapped. I tried just swapping the top hat of it, silly me.

Just posting in case someone else is as ignorant as me.
Thanks guys.

Tre3zy

just saw this today... and i was gonna say yea you cant use the evo ones

Gtpdz

I managed to use EVO top perch with VR4 top hats, just slot in a thick hard spacer in between, about 5~7mm, that will give the top hat enough clearance to spin freely. I swapped in a set of EVO 8 swift mach sport, the ride is much better than stock, less harsh road vibration and less body roll in corner, also fixed the steering geometry so no more tire squeaking in tide turns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

car_guy

So if I understand this properly, all I have to do is buy these click here and redrill my shock towers to match the Evo bolt pattern and everything will match up fine?

Last edited:

tektic

There's more to it than that. Keep searching. All information is here. Bottoms don't fit front or back and front springs are too tall.

transparentdsm

Quoting car_guy:
So if I understand this properly, all I have to do is buy these click here and redrill my shock towers to match the Evo bolt pattern and everything will match up fine?

im selling my evo 8 mr's and there ready to in the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned