The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evolution X suspension

johnnyRacer

I was looking at the Evo X suspension. The front seem the same as the VIII and IX. The rear shocks however look like ours without the lower fork, but with a regular lower mount that you slide onto the stud and bolt it to the car. It seems to me this would make the Evo X a simple bolt on affair. Or Evo 8-9 front and Evo 10 rear suspension set up.

raptorWagon

it's been discussed before and it would be one of those things you would have to try out yourself, however the Evo X does look to have a higher stance than a Evo 8/9 and thus might make our cars just look the same or maybe even more of a monster truck. click

And reference to this thread of the various spring sizes
Spring comparison

I had a 1g dsm friend ask me the same thing as he had acquired a set of Evo X stockers.

Here's a pic of them, now I know for sure those rear springs are definitely much taller than the Evo 8s I have on my car. Let's see what the Veterans say. My friend said the rear springs are within a inch of the same height as his stock springs, to me that would mean there wouldn't be any difference in height then, correct?
evo10setup003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I had someone send me some measurements & the Evo X rears were ~2" taller than the Evo 8-9. If memory serves me right, the fronts were ~ the same. I can't gurantee these measurements though as I didn't measure the evo X's myself. However looking @ the X, you can see the car has a higher stance.

prove_it

So if the evo X rear suspension is 2" taller than the evo 8-9, then wouldn't work a bit better? I say this becuase when you install evo8-9 suspension you need to cut the front spring to level the car out. I always hate cutting springs so if the evo X suspension is taller in the rear, wouldn't it sit a bit more level without cutting the front springs? I think it may sit taller all around, but a set of lowering springs would fix that, or a set of coilovers for the evo X.

Is my logic correct, or is the 2" too tall?

It depends on what you want for your car. If the 4x4 look is what you want then you could bolt-on the Evo X setup & go offroading or have a nice winter setup. Keep in mind that the springs also have a stiffer rate than gvr4 springs so the car will sit really high.

prove_it

Even with lowering springs or coilovers?

belize1334

But at that point you'll be running an effective 2" drop on the suspension just to accomplish a stock-looking ride height. If you wanted to go any lower you'd have to worry about the struts bottoming out. Seems sketchy but if you can find a set cheep then I say go for it.

prove_it

Ah, good point.

johnnyRacer

What about using 8-9 rear springs on the 10 shock. If the shocks are the same length then couldn't we just use 8-9 rear springs?

prove_it

I would say the springs are longer because the lower perches are lower, so if lowering springs on evo X struts would cause bottoming out issues, then I would assume that evo 8-9 springs would do the same thing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts