The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 strut brackets

I had some free couple of hours so i visited my friend and worked on a pair of evo 8 front struts.
I've read some stuff here regarding the brackets that hold the brake lines, didn't really want to follow the route that was shown in the guide so I did these..

img.php

I'll be welding these on the strut body.

I also did the spacer thingies..

img.php

Will be finishing these off and install the evo 8 struts by next week. Days off work, like pay days, don't come soon enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

Your going to weld these to the strut body? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

That is very risky as struts really don't that kind of heat. That's why no one has done that before.

I just drilled a hole in a hose clamp, slide a bolt through, then clamped it on. Worked fine.

EHmotorsports

don't forget to post pics of your missing fingers after you are finished. this is very dangerous.

Spyke169

I made almost identical brackets, then cut slots in each of the tabs to feed a hose clo through to secure them to each shock.

Quoting prove_it:
Your going to weld these to the strut body? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

That is very risky as struts really don't that kind of heat. That's why no one has done that before.

I just drilled a hole in a hose clamp, slide a bolt through, then clamped it on. Worked fine.

Thanks for the info, i didn't know that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I originally got some clamps to do this:

98295-0-0-0.jpg

But had 2nd thoughts about it. Maybe I can just have these welded on a hose clamp instead of sliding a bolt through.

prove_it

Yes, much much better idea. Even when welding the bushings to the lower ears is considered risky. I had mine TIG welded, but even then my welder actually put the strut in a bucket of water with only the ears in the air. This prevented any heat reaching the strut.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned