The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 ECU install

bcjjones

Can someone please point me into the direction of some info on the basics of using the Evo 8 ecu and ecuflash? I have the wiring harness converted and ecuflash downloaded but really no idea how to use it. I tried to upload the tune from the ECU on ecuflash but the progress always fails halfway through and says to see the log for more info. Not sure what im doing wrong, so any basic help would be really appreciated!

Also two other questions, I just wanted to see if the car would start initially after installing the evo 8 ecu and it did not. It cranks fine but no start. Not sure if the timing is different etc etc.

And is the obd2 plug for flashing or for logging purposes?

Thanks again for any help at all!

quato

Read HERE until your eyes fall out. Seriously just about any problem that you may have has already happened to somebody on that forum and been covered. The development is still ongoing as well so that's nice.

CutlassJim

Quoting quato:
Read HERE until your eyes fall out. Seriously just about any problem that you may have has already happened to somebody on that forum and been covered. The development is still ongoing as well so that's nice.

The thing I don't like about this sub forum is that it's 300 people asking questions and 2-3 people answering them and usually contradicting each other.

bcjjones

Yea I've read through them a little bit but like the person above me said it gets redundant and I understand the basics of everything. I just need to now figure out what I've done wrong with the set up.

From what I read I have all the wires going to the correct places, I switched around the firing order (which im not sure is necessary?) but im not getting any spark. Does the stock CAS work for the evo 8 ecu?

Also the wiring for the obd 1 plug doesn't make sense to me. I obviously need power and ground but I cant determine with pin is for data?

Any help at all would be truly appreciated!

quato

The CAS will work with the ECU. You may have to adjust your base timing depending on which ROM you are running. From what I understand, the EDM ROM should work on our cars without messing with the timing. I have used both 8693 and 9417 ROMs in my car and they both work fine.

CutlassJim

Ok I am a super Evo ECU noob as well. Can you use the ECU from a 4 cylinder 3G Eclipse or does it not knock control or something like that? If you can use it you would just flash an EVO ROM onto it correct? The plugs from the 3G Eclipse I think will work. There are 4 of them. I guess that's a question too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts