The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 8 Intercooler into a GVR4!

rdomeck

Well...If anyone ever wondered if an EVO 8 intercooler would fit a GVR4, it will. Only took a few modifications. Started with hanging the core and making sure the bumper would still fit. Then started on the plumbing. There is a lot of pipe compared to the top mount tat I was running.

Used a lot of the EVO piping, mainly the bends and transition from the smaller diameter from the turbo to the larger diameter. Used some strait tubing cut to 15 degree's for the tight radius that I needed on each side of the core. Guess we will see how it works. Any thoughts on the best place to pull the signal for the waste gate? I believe the original is from the J pipe right at the turbo.

Oh, I get to keep my fog lights!

turbowop

You could have made the piping considerably shorter on the passenger side by going through the core support. With your fab skills, it should be easy to sneak some piping through there. Look at link in my sig to see pics of my setup. I only have two pipes connecting my fmic.

I use the upper intercooler pipe for a boost source, but the lower pipe would be fine as well.

Last edited:

brisvr4

Nice work, I did this mod a few years ago but I didn't mod the cold side outlet on mine. Just welded an elbow to the hot side.
It'll work nicely for you!
Posting these from my iPad so I can't just upload sorry!

Enginebay021.jpg

Enginebay022.jpg

rdomeck

Quoting turbowop:
You could have made the piping considerably shorter on the passenger side by going through the core support. With your fab skills, it should be easy to sneak some piping through there. Look at link in my sig to see pics of my setup. I only have two pipes connecting my fmic.

I use the upper intercooler pipe for a boost source, but the lower pipe would be fine as well.

I still have A/C and didn't see any way to sneak it through the core support. I'll look again as I would love to not worry about the cold pipe running that low under the car. It is tucked up nicely and if I bend the tow hook back straight it would be higher than that!

Turboman_456

They work just fine I have one in my Gray Lady and most importantly and uncut bumper.
Keeps that sleeper effect going quite nicely.

turbowop

Quoting rdomeck:
Quoting turbowop:

I still have A/C and didn't see any way to sneak it through the core support. I'll look again as I would love to not worry about the cold pipe running that low under the car. It is tucked up nicely and if I bend the tow hook back straight it would be higher than that!

I still have AC as well. You need to remove a little bit of sheetmetal (not structural) from the core support to fit the piping through.

rdomeck

I'll check that out. Thanks for the input.

matt92vr4

I started this job last week. Everything is going well. Did you guys remove the power steering hard line that runs up front? It seems to be in the way. Thank you.

Matt

coyotes

you can bend it back a little bit out of the way. I kept mine just fine with no problem and no bending it either though. My FMIC is bigger and winder than an evo FMIC

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned