The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Either Slave leak or Trans leak

Brunoboy

I still have this weird problem with leaking fluid. I cleaned up the whol undercarriage thinking it was the Axle Seals but it isnt. I have taken off the Flywheel inspection plate and nothing. I see fluid around the dust cover and thats the highest point of wheres its at. It was a new slave from Kragen and has plenty of pressure. I tried adding trans fluid and its still full. I pulled the dust cover and its dry inside. Whatever it is, its leaking fast. I had the car on Jackstands and ran the car and shifted gears and let the tires roll. I didnt have a leak then. I drove it today and its fluid on the bottom. Its a TRE Stage 2 trans and my 3rd gear grinds at High RPM around redline when I fast shift but still good for lower rpms and fast shifts. I have adjusted the clutch right, the pedal assembly is welded and its a OEM Master cylinder with a SS Line from Master to Slave. What do you all think?

PS: The trans is sometimes Notchy and other times its Smooth as Butter while DD it.
-shane

Last edited:

brisvr4

Which dust cover has the fluid on it, the clutch fork cover?
Have you checked the shift arm seal? It can cause a small leak but only when you are driving it.

grocery_getter

You know that there is a big difference in how a gear oil and brake fluid feels and smell? You should be able to quickly decides if the leak is one or the other.

You should even be able to mark the clutch fluid reservoir to see if the fluid level goes down after a while.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

its the clutch fork dust cover. and I was going to check fluid level today. It was dark last night when i looked at it. Also the top of the dust cover is the highest point that has fluid on it.

Brunoboy

so the MC is still FULL, and I cant figure out what the fluid is. Its at the dust cover and around it and down on the cross member. I dont know where it can come from. Ive checked behind the dust cover and its dry.

grocery_getter

This is very simple.

Look, you only have a select type of fluids in your car. You have coolant, brake fluid, gear oil, motor oil and that's it. I assume you know what coolant looks like, now to focus on the rest of the fluid. Rub some of the leaking fluids between your fingers. Brake fluid feels like nothing else. If you don't know how brake fluid supposed to feel between your fingers, open your master cylinders and dip your fingers for some sample. Its either going to be brake fluid or motor oil or gear oil. If its not brake fluid, smell it. Gear oil smells like a really strong body odor. If it has no smell, then its going to be motor oil.

Didn't I say its going to be very simple? Once you know what fluid it is then you can concentrate on finding out where it comes from.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned