The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slave cylinder video

turbowop

So I've been having a clutch drag issue ever since I swapped from the twin to the single. It was a hydraulic problem and I finally got around to installing a new master a slave cylinder today. Even bled it by myself thanks to a speed bleeder on the slave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I used a Beck/Arnley master and a Dorman slave. I made sure to get the DSM AWD slave with the red piston (my stock slave had the larger green piston which contributed to some of the disengagement issues). The master rod is adjusted correctly and not past the self adjusting point (I can still press in on the slave when everything is at rest).

So now that the new hydraulic cylinders are installed/bled/adjusted, the trans shifts amazing, and doesn't move an inch when doing the 7000rpm clutch-in/first-gear test. I notice a lot of creaking going on inside the bellhousing though. Is this fairly normal with everybody else's cars? Clutch is a TMZ/SBC unit using the SS-X pressure plate and hybrid ceramic/kevlar disk. It feels fine, I just wanna make sure nothing bad is going on inside the bellhousing.

Here is an iPhone vid: click

Last edited:

turbowop

Well, I slathered some grease onto the end of the slave rod which seems to have quieted this creaking down a bit. Guess I'll just live with it.

Garage_Defeat

Are you sure that is not coming from the pedal assembly / Master side?

-Dan

birdman24

Hey Wop, not to thread jack but do you have a part number for the slave cylinder that you bought? I have the same red piston but I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere.

Terence

turbowop

It was this one:

click

But the one I purchased came to only $15 shipped. They range from that low price all the way up to like $60.

Also, I purchased this kit as it was cheap and figured I could use a spare. It also has the red piston and the slave look identical, right down to the markings in the casting:

click

The Beck/Arnley master looked higher quality than the Exedy unit though, so that's what I used. But now I have a spare master and slave, which is good since I own two of these piles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

birdman24

Haha yes having a spare for these cars is a must. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Terence

JNR

I've had good luck with beck/arnley stuff from rock auto.

Been dealing with too many vehicles any more, lol, but is this the car that the firewall can flex a little, or am I thinking of another? Was going to suggest that if it does flex, perhaps some of your slop comes from there; would be an easy enough fix to reinforce it, but more I think about this, wondering if I'm just thinking of another vehicle.

ade

pull & replace the fork & pivot ball. ive had to chase this same noise down on a lot of clientele's cars. i confirmed with a few (2) knowledgeable dsmers on this and got the same answer instantly.

turbowop

Putting grease on the end of the rod that actuates the fork helped a ton. I'm not pulling the trans back out to fix a little noise that's only noticeable when the car isn't running. It shifts/disengages perfectly now.

ade

i dont blame ya, trany pulling aint no picnic.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts