The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EGT's with standalone

presterone

So just a little about my setup 92 GVR4 with FP big 16G ported and clipped, 710cc injectors, 255 lph pump, jackal speed density setup, stock cams stock bottom end. So i just installed my zietronix EGT probe and saw EGT's of almost 1200 under light load. I have tuned the volumetric efficiency and just kept n eye on my AFR's so the ignition timing is a basically a stock map. Cruising me EGT is around 600 to 800 degrees. I have no idea what a dangerous EGT is. Should I mess with my ignition timing and try to cool it down? maybe the timing is to retarded for this better breathing setup? And also what should my target air fuel ration be at 15psi of boost with this turbo and stock internals

presterone

Also my egt probe is in the cyl#1 exhaust manifold runner about 4 to six inches from the spark plug wire on that cylinder

biglady112

We live in the 1450-1500 range. But we do things different and run 5 miles at a time wide open. But anything in the 1500-1600* range is awesome. If you value your engine, keep things under 1600*. This is coming from someone who tunes exclusively by EGT's. This is on both a 600cc Yamaha bike and multiple 4G63 powered vehicles.

presterone

1400 to 1500 on boost? I guess I was wrong while cruising my temps are more from 800 to 1100 and at WOT I don't know yet because its a little scary to look down

biglady112

We race at the Bonneville Salt Flats. We run 5 miles each pass. That is how we keep our headgaskets together.

presterone

didnt feel like making new thread to ask this question. This is my first time messing with a manual boost controller, its a hallman which is supposedly nice. When I first got the car going it would spike to 21psi which I thought was too much, i was looking more for 15psi solidly. I figured the spring was too stiff because no matter how much I adjusted the MBC it still would boost to 20-21psi. I bought a new sring that was obviously softer and made several adjustments and no matter what I still got the same amount of boost. The vac line to the wastegate has a slight kink in it but I don't really think thats the problem. I have a three inch downpipe and test pipe and thats it for exhaust until I can borrow a welder, could this really free flowing exhaust have something to do with this over boost condition? should I just run straight vacuum to the wastegate to help figure this out? I just need some ideas I hate having this car and being too scared to stretch its legs. Once again heres my setup
6-bolt stock block and cylinder head, ARP head studs,MLSheadgasket, FP big 16G ported and clipped, jackal speed density ecu, 720cc injectors, 255lph pump ETS front mount intercooler. My AFRs on boost are anywhere from 10 to 11.0 so I hope it is safe I mean it hasn't blown up yet.

presterone

It is hooked up correctly, per hallman instructions. Could it be possible I have some sort of different wastegate spring? or that my exhaust is too free flowing?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned