The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E85

thecman02

If your trying to run high boost, then e85 will save you hundreds of dollars. If your running low boost and don't like going fast just stick with pump. I pretty much break even on my setup and I can enjoy 25-30psi with great timing.

prove_it

Quoting jasonvr4:
Hi all,

Ethanol is garbage / junk - sh*t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif!!!!

Hate it -- absorbs moisture and is sh*t fuel

shame we cant go to another kind of fuel

99%premium is the best or AVGAS hahaha

jvr4

And your proof and reasons to support this are.......because you feel like it?

I have tuned several cars on e85 and have been playing with mixtures for about 4 years now. Yes every 10k miles or every spring you'll need to clean your injectors due to some build-up that happens. But is that a big deal?
Around here E85 costs about 1.80 and gas is about 3.00 for premium. I run E30 which costs 2.40, and I get about 24 mpg on that plus the effective octane is about 94-95 points. I can push my stock turbo and intercooler farther than with gas and have not had a single problem for about 4k miles.

Yes E85 takes more fuel, but you spend less. It tends to become a wash out. You do gain 10 points in octane though. 92-93 versus 105, yea it's worth it. Also the high alcohol content cools the air charge noticeable which also helps the knock threshold. There are cars here that are pushing some big limits and doing it everyday.

Best part is that E85 supports and funds local farmers and helps them to succeed and not into big oil company's and into the hands of the people we are at war with.

Thanks proveit, I was just wondering if it would be worth it if I ever did get another VR4. Since you said its a wash, but you get a lot more benefits, it looks like it is. I had a flexfuel Ranger that I don't think there was much of a difference in gas mileage with the E85, except it ran a lot better on it. Now, would you be able to do it without link?

And jason, brake fluid absorbs moisture, thats why you change it every once in a while. If you are constantly using gas (and had a sealed system in good working order), wouldn't it be a non issue? Why aren't the flexfuel cars worried about that?

prove_it

The alcohol in E85 will absorb moisture, but your right we do have sealed systems and the amount of water it's allowed to absorb once in our cars is minimal, however you can't forget the trip the fuel makes to get into your car. From processing to tanks to trucks to tanks again then to a truck again then to a tank in the ground, some water will happen. It happens to regular fuels too.

Anyways, yes you can do it without Link or standalone, but you will need some sort of compensation. You can use an AFC, but you'll bigger injectors and pump even on a stock car. Trust me I tried, you need 680's at a bare minimum on a full stock set up.

I think Keydiver can program a chip for E85, which would be the cheapest way to go. Either way you'll spend about 200-400 in fuel management. I recommend using Link or standalone so you can have a local tuner tune it. E85 can vary from E70-E85 pending on the time of year and your location. It's also a real good idea to have a wideband installed too.

With my E30 I've luck running it without tuning it. I can switch between 91 and E30 anytime. My fuel trims will change about 10-13% which isn't too bad, not great but not bad. E30 is still being test marketed yet so it's not too available.

Nartanian

My set-up on E85 daily driven:

-MHI s16g
-HKS ssqv bov (recirculated)
-Evo 8 FMIC w/ 2.5" IC piping
-Evo 8 MAS w/ 4.5" Perrin filter
-Evo III o2 housing (ported)
-2g exhaust manifold
-3" turboback
-SafcII
-Keydiver chip
-FIC 950cc
-Walbro 255

Not sure on what numbers I'm putting down but I'd like to think just a hair over 300whp at 30psi and torque since I'm set to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Gas mileage isn't horrible either. I get about 20-24mpg driving "nicely"

Last edited:

Brunoboy

i didnt even know you could push a s16g to 30 psi. lol, My setup is right now
Evo IX Pump
B16g
Jon's Evo VIII FMIC/ piping kit
2.5-3 inch turbo back
Dsm GT high flow manifold
2g o2 housing
Go Fast Bits BOV
Ecm Link Lite
880cc injectors.
AFPR Fuel Lab
2g maf with hard intake piping
HKS EVC IV

I am not to sure what I wanna do with it. I may want to go E85 but at the moment its not readily available around my area.

Last edited:

Nartanian

Yea, it's more of a spike though. In 5th gear it goes over 30psi maxing out the boost gauge, so I think it's best I turn it down a bit or else it'll end up like the 14b /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I hear rumors that meth injection has led to engine failures or something similar when it fails. I don't really know much on it though. I don't think E85 really is a problem of gas mileage as it is availability for most. Especially since E85 goes for around 2.09/gal in my area atleast.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

its about 2.50 a gallon 40 minutes away lol.

turbowop

I have an E85 station about 35mins away, but I consider that too far to be worth it.

Meth can cause engine failures if there are no failsafes built into the system. If you're smart about the setup, it works well with little worry. I've been rocking it since '06 without issue.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned