The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dual Walbro intank

Sup guys i want to see if anyone has done this to their vr-4. If so can someone post pictures of it or how to do it.

Brianawd

Its a pain in the ass to get both pumps to fit. You have to dent the bottom of the gas tank to make it work the way I was trying it. I did not want to do that so I just ran a 255hp intank feeding a O44 inline with -8 to the rail. There is a company that makes a nice machined aluminum holder for dual pumps. Forgot who it was. But someone here should know

Edit Found it
click

Last edited:

curtis

No time to rant about this trying to write machine code for a project but there a bad idea. Period. I can see it for a track car but no two pumps are going to have the exact same pressure or flow and one will always be forcing against the other. I did this with two 155's in my Mustang back in like 94 or so and ended up dead in the middle of the road because of it. Lucky for me I was idling and not in it at 6800 on spray. Get a 255 for the tank and transfer fuel to a surge tank or just to a 044 bosch or get a 040 (which flows the same as a 044) and put it in the tank and call it a day. I don't care you sells them or if so and so is running them it doesn't make it right and just like my sentence says "who sells them". Shops are open to make money not give engineering advice on fluid dynamics. You can get a 255 for around 75 bucks on ebay 2 of them are 150 ....If you watch the for sale section or ebay long enough you'll find a 044 /040 or a a1000 or sx for the same price.

4thStroke

There have been at least one knowledgeable guy on ECMLink who as gotten great flow characteristics from dual 255s. I believe he had one set up like normal and fed the other one from the gas tank drain.

However, I do not believe his is a daily driven car and he has mentioned issues when cornering hard with low fuel, the fuel sloshes to one side and the 2nd pump doesnt get any fuel.

Ive tried to figure out a good system, but one doesnt seem to exist.

Dual inline 255s or a setup like Brian has fed a lot of fuel.

English Racing has hit over 600whp with dual in line 255s with a 3065 on E85, just to give you an example.

ok thanks guys i've seen the full-blown kits for the 1g. will that kit fit our car or the sending unit is totally different from the vr4. I've had experience from an aeromotive pump and is really whinning sound that i dont really like. But if it comes down that i can't get the two walbros in there i will be goin with an external.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting curtis:
No time to rant about this trying to write machine code for a project but there a bad idea. Period. I can see it for a track car but no two pumps are going to have the exact same pressure or flow and one will always be forcing against the other. I did this with two 155's in my Mustang back in like 94 or so and ended up dead in the middle of the road because of it. Lucky for me I was idling and not in it at 6800 on spray. Get a 255 for the tank and transfer fuel to a surge tank or just to a 044 bosch or get a 040 (which flows the same as a 044) and put it in the tank and call it a day. I don't care you sells them or if so and so is running them it doesn't make it right and just like my sentence says "who sells them". Shops are open to make money not give engineering advice on fluid dynamics. You can get a 255 for around 75 bucks on ebay 2 of them are 150 ....If you watch the for sale section or ebay long enough you'll find a 044 /040 or a a1000 or sx for the same price.

No the full blown kits won't work. Sending units are different. Did you not just read Curtis's post. Don't stick 2 pumps in one hanger, run them inline or go with one fuel pump.

In another opinion i asked one of my friends that has a 400hp altima awd and his running to walbro and says he doesn't have any problems with his setup he has a -8 feeding and the -6 return. So am going to do this see how it works for me. i will post pics when i do it.

JSchleim18

How much HP are you looking to get? I think a single Supra TT pump will work if you're looking for 400 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As in HP am looking for around 600hp or more i was going with a 60trim turbo but i just got a deal for a turbonetics T76 BALL BEARING. So now am going T4. My car already has a supra pump but that won't be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

I had dual 255HP's in my Galant for about a week. They worked and fit well on a modified stock hanger assembly. Issue I had was on the highway, I could watch the fuel gauge drop down to almost empty.

If you look at the baffled section in the stock Galant tank, there is only (1) 3/8" feed tube to allow fuel from the tank to fill the baffled section where the pump/sending unit fits. If I were to put the twin pumps back in, I'd drill a few more holes in the corners of the baffles, to allow fuel to fill it faster. Good luck. Most people run additional in-lines, or 044's in tank.

According to AMS's tests, for pretty much anything over 290 liters/hour of flow you need parallel pumps:

290 liters/hour would be equivalent to 1450cc injectors @ 37psi and 90% Duty Cycle.
Also according to that graph, a single intank Walbro 255HP (rewired) is only good to ~210 liters/hour, which would be 1050cc injectors @ 37psi and 90% Duty Cycle, or 950cc (980cc/1000cc) injectors @ 37psi and 100% DC.

onesickcrx

Quoting EMX5636:
I had dual 255HP's in my Galant for about a week. They worked and fit well on a modified stock hanger assembly. Issue I had was on the highway, I could watch the fuel gauge drop down to almost empty.

If you look at the baffled section in the stock Galant tank, there is only (1) 3/8" feed tube to allow fuel from the tank to fill the baffled section where the pump/sending unit fits. If I were to put the twin pumps back in, I'd drill a few more holes in the corners of the baffles, to allow fuel to fill it faster. Good luck. Most people run additional in-lines, or 044's in tank.

Where did you have the fuel return? My fuel returns in the same baffled section no issues so far.

I had to shorten the full blown mount for the pumps and use different barbed hose ends then they supplied that's it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMX5636

I was running the stock return line. I had a post up about it, but not many other ppl seemed to have similar results.

Street Surgeon

Quoting vr4beast:
As in HP am looking for around 600hp or more i was going with a 60trim turbo but i just got a deal for a turbonetics T76 BALL BEARING. So now am going T4. My car already has a supra pump but that won't be enough.

If you've already got a supra pump in tank, just add a Walbro GSS=392 inline and be done with it, that will be MORE than enough for 600whp.

fivestardsm

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting onesickcrx:
Full Blown kit does fit

Thats news to me, I stand corrected. Are the sending units the same length as the GVR4's?

No they are actually shorter in the GVR4's by about a 1/2" to 1".

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts