The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dsmlink questions

clevr4

Okay my setup is a 95 Obd2, I was told if my battery dies I'll have to hook the computer to the obd and run the dsmlink application and retune. This is a scary though, if anyone can point me in a direction of how to retune and the process. I heard there is a version so I don't have to worry about the battery dying. I haven't hooked up yet and checked anything. Thanks in advance

thomcasey

Untrue if you have Link v3. Do you know which version? Also, are you saying your ODB1 factory vr4 is now running an ODB2/95 (2g dsm) ECU?

clevr4

He told me I would have to upgrade to v3 or some version that costs 195? And he swapped in a talon 95 with obdii

thomcasey

What you can do then, since you are running a version that loses the tune when power is removed, is once in link, you can save the tune file on the laptop. When you have to reapply the tune, you connect with link and apply the tune you had saved. No need to retune every time.

clevr4

I dont mind updating and or paying for the version that will allow me to keep tune.I just in the boat of not knowing what a good tune is for my vehicle. Im not 100% sure what all i can do with software and what needs to be tuned and the proper numbers to go with. I just purchased a laptop so i may just mess with it and see what all is involved. 93 octane, boost set at 18lbs, idleset at 700, rev limit 7500,knock sensor is 2 blinks of engine light? thats pretty much the run down on what PO showed me with the software, all of 10 minutes maybe.

what setup and settings are you running? any suggestions on versions of the dsmlink? appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EHmotorsports

it would be a good idea to read up and watch the tuning videos provided by ECMtuning.

WIKI click

Videos click

Fiascoxl

Hey what's up. I'm over in the Shenandoah valley area which isn't too far away from you, if you run into any problems I would be glad to help.

clevr4

Thanks man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif, It may be best to meet up with you. Im a sponge for knowledge. I just ran the dsmlink, i didnt change any values.. just seeing what i can see. I watched a couple of those videos.

Apart from the actual tuning, when i connected to obd i had to configure, it only connected when i chose gen2 v2. if i were to upgrade to v3 how would i connect to my obdii?

clevr4

this is what i got /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiascoxl

Quoting clevr4:
Thanks man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif, It may be best to meet up with you. Im a sponge for knowledge. I just ran the dsmlink, i didnt change any values.. just seeing what i can see. I watched a couple of those videos.

Apart from the actual tuning, when i connected to obd i had to configure, it only connected when i chose gen2 v2. if i were to upgrade to v3 how would i connect to my obdii?

You would just go under the same connection configuration tab you used to connect initially and set them to 2g v3.

clevr4

so im guessing it wont connect unless i pay for v3? im just trying to get to the seeting in which i dont have to retune everytime i change battery or forget to turn lights off

Fiascoxl

You have to pay for V3 and either send the eprom chip out of the ecu or send the whole ecu to ECMlink. For now open up ecmlink and connect to the car with the key in the on position. Then capture a short datalog. Now that you have done that, on the opening screen to ecmlink you can find and open that very log. So if you lose your "tune" you can revert back to the settings by opening this log and opening "ecu config" from log tab under the datalog and apply all chages when that screen appears. Its kind of hard to explain, but you will pick it up easily.

clevr4

alright i appreciate it, makes more sense. picked up a lot today. I dont think my car is tuned as best as it could be. After watching some of the demo videos I came to this theory. I guess i have to go to a pro veteran tuner and get some input. learn the optimals of all the inputs.

thomcasey

^^^^^ That's my thought right there. Tons of rewiring for that. Plus, with it still having a 6-bolt, useless unless the PO was that short on money to not want to buy a 1g ECU with link and had this.

Can you post a pic of the ECU?

clevr4

Yeah its obdii the connector is in the center console. I ran the program yesterday

thomcasey

Hmmm. Maybe the car needed a complete engine harness so he went the 2g harness route? I supose one could make an adapter plug for the dash harness, I have an adapter for the 1g turbo engine harness in my colt, so I could see that.

4G63_GSR

spend that $200 and upgrade to v3. I hate lugging my laptop around with me just in case. My link is set to stock injectors. i have 880s in there now. I've once triggered my stock alarm. in order to turn it off i had to disconnect my battery. lost my configuration. it was a nightmare to drive the car home to correct the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

clevr4

Yeah i was thinking that, once I pay to upgrade I send off my whole ecu? Or just a box of some sort? Any projected down time?

4G63_GSR

I think per their site they will need/want the chip and adapter back. I don't think it's necessary to ship them your whole ECU but it may not be a bad idea to ship it all and have them double check the condition of your ECU in addition to swapping chips. Best bet is to call or email them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned