The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dsm or galant Intercooler setup

James

Which to you prefer? When the previous owner swapped in a turbo motor the galant gsx he used the whole setup, so I have a Dsm SMIC setup and piping. When I go for a SMIC setup do you think I should go DSM piping or vr4 piping?

LIV4PSI

The VR4 piping is for a FMIC. I would either leave your DSM smic setup alone, or go with a real FMIC and custom piping with T bolt clamps.

Last edited:

James

But the piping isn't run the same on a galant fmic and a Dsm fmic is it?

If they are the same then I gues this thread is pointless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

I guess I don't understand what you are asking. DSMs don't come stock with a FMIC, so there isn't just one way the piping is ran. All FMIC setups are aftermarket, and there are several different ways that people run their intercooler pipes. The stock GVR4 intercooler and piping is joke.

The most common solution is a front mount intercooler that has the endtanks facing the firewall. That saves a lot of turns and piping. I know on my old 1g, I had to cut holes in the core support though to run piping this way.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting James:
Which to you prefer? When the previous owner swapped in a turbo motor the galant gsx he used the whole setup, so I have a Dsm SMIC setup and piping. When I go for a SMIC setup do you think I should go DSM piping or vr4 piping?

Your question is confusing. You HAVE a smic setup, and you're asking about going with an upgraded SMIC setup, but you're asking if you should run VR4 or DSM plumbing?

The GVR4 didn't come with a SMIC. If you're using a SMIC, and the DSM plumbing works, stick with DSM plumbing. Don't overly complicate things by trying to run some GVR4 plumbing. Additionally, i don't see a SMIC as being very effective on a Galant, due to the configuration of the front end, especially the front fascia. The GGSX, with a stock fascia, would have even worse airflow to a SMIC.

James

I understand what car came with what.

What I assumed was that the holes for pipes to run we're different in a vr4 and a Dsm. When using a FMIC.

EXAMPLE: In my spyder gst my FMIC setup didn't have the Jpipe running up and over the manifold like the stock fmic setup.

Either way it doesn't matter since I just picked up a tig and will probably be build my own custom route piping.

And I have all vr4 body parts.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

"What i assumed was that the holes for pipes to run WE ARE different in a vr4 and Dsm. When using a FMIC."
^^This statement makes no sense at all.^^ I do not understand what you're trying to convey here.

Your original question referenced ONLY a SMIC setup. I saw no mention of a FMIC setup. Where is the issue here? It shouldn't matter whether or not the GVR4 setup runs over the exhaust manifold or not, since you are ONLY asking about your SMIC setup.

James

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ok let's try this.

Do the gallants have a hole cut in the engine bay for the piping, behind the passenger side headlight?

James

That answers what I need to know. That's where my FMIC piping was routed on all of my DSMs. So of galants don't have that hole for pipe to run, then obviously they won't be routed that way.

ktmrider

Quoting James:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ok let's try this.

Do the gallants have a hole cut in the engine bay for the piping, behind the passenger side headlight?

Better wording, I took the first post to mean the PO had INSTALLED the SMIC/piping and you were wondering which was best.

slugsgomoo

You're talking about old school dejon style long route piping on a dsm then- most of the good stuff of recent years (like 2005+) is all short route and avoids the stupid smic area completely.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned