The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driving with driveshaft out

JDM_DSM

Should I be able to drive my car in and out of the garage with the driveshaft out? (Driveway has enough slope that it would probably take 3 or 4 people to push it back in)
Or would I just burn out the viscous coupler?

EMX5636

You will burn the coupler. Enough to ruin it I guess depends on a lot of things like current condition, the driveway etc. I would just push it. It will feel like a clutch slipping to try and drive it. You will have to rev it up, and more rev's equal more heat.

manikbastrd

You could pull the transfer case I suppose? I mean if the shaft is already out, it's only 5 bolts...

EHmotorsports

you will still ruin the VCU and center diff removing the transfer case. DO NOT move the car without a welded center diff or a VCU lockout.

prove_it

Would it even move without the rear connected?

Don't do it though. It's a pain to push it in, my drive is sloped too. I always put a board down behind the rear wheel so I can push it forward a little and slide the board up, that way it doesn't end up in the street. I've also been known to use a piece of cardboard between the rear bumper and front bumper of my other cars and "push" it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

manikbastrd

Quoting EHmotorsports:
you will still ruin the VCU and center diff removing the transfer case. DO NOT move the car without a welded center diff or a VCU lockout.

Oh yeah haha...that whole diff in the trans thing...

vr4play

I think the VCU is stronger than most people think. I drove my car for a month back in the collage days with a broken rear axle. It would drive just fine as long as you didn't try and accelerate really fast. I don't think I would be concerned with moving it 5 ft back into the drive way. I just wouldn't make a habit out of it and do it really slow. It's no different than trying to move the car when the rear wheels are on ice and the front are on pavement.

EHmotorsports

I would agree if the condition of the transmission was new. to a point. but how many vr4's have over 140k and have been beat on since day one?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
I've also been known to use a piece of cardboard between the rear bumper and front bumper of my other cars and "push" it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Old tires work great as a cushion for this too.

EMX5636

Quoting vr4play:
I think the VCU is stronger than most people think. I drove my car for a month back in the collage days with a broken rear axle. It would drive just fine as long as you didn't try and accelerate really fast. I don't think I would be concerned with moving it 5 ft back into the drive way. I just wouldn't make a habit out of it and do it really slow. It's no different than trying to move the car when the rear wheels are on ice and the front are on pavement.

I agree with this to a point (my old GSX had different tires front/rear when I bought it) and it still worked ok when I put new tires on it. But I've pulled a couple VC's out that had plastic melted and hanging out of the housing. Mileage and current condition depend a lot like iceman and I had said before. Plus what I would try on my own car to get by and what I would recommend to others is very different. I can fix/replace it if I break it, most can't and I wouldn't want to risk their wallet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned