The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear wheels dont spin??

MellowVR4

ok, ill try to explain the best i can. long story short i was driving and all of a sudden sounds like something is hitting my rear axles or my driveshaft. I pull over look underneath... nothing. drive it home sloooowy, still making a little noise on the way home not as dramatic tho. Now i jacked the car up on all four jackstands to see what i can find. start spinning the driveshaft manualy and it feels like it skips, so then even tho this is a lil dangerous but i started the car and put it in gear and my rear wheels dont spin, driveshaft doesnt spin and the driverside rear wheel spined for like 2secs and then stoped, my front wheels just kept spinning. so i know that the most obviouse thing to be wrong would be my transfercase took a s##t. But i know these cars and i think it can also be something else. What do you guys think, please if anybody thinks it could be something else let me know. i havent taken off my transx yet i wanted to post this up first. also i drained the fluid on the transx and the diff and no crazy chunks of metal came out.

cheekychimp

When you say you drained the diff, do you mean the rear diff? If so and your transfer case fluid looks clean, I'd say your next place to look would be your centre diff (or the output shaft to the transfer case). Have you checked your transmission fluid for debris?

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

when you spin the driveshaft by hand, does it rotate the rear wheels?? you kind of left out an important detail...

if it does; the problem is likely ahead of the rear end, so something might be wrong with the driveshaft, transfer case, output shaft, or transmission.

it if doesnt rotate the wheels; look into the rear diff/axles

MellowVR4

yes the rear wheels do spin when i turn the driveshaft by hand, but im gona take off my transx and see what i find. Maybe the teeth on the transx might have gone but we'll see. ill keep ya'll posted.

MellowVR4

Quoting cheekychimp:
When you say you drained the diff, do you mean the rear diff? If so and your transfer case fluid looks clean, I'd say your next place to look would be your centre diff (or the output shaft to the transfer case). Have you checked your transmission fluid for debris?

i did drain the rear diff, and negative on the transmission drain, figuer i check the transx first before i drain 2.5 quarts of tranny fluid.

MellowVR4

i took my transfercase off today and the teeth on the transfercase are completely stripped. the teeth on the shaft on the tranny look a little worn but still has some sort of meat on it but i dont know if its worth getting another transferx with out changing the shaft aswell. what caused the teeth to strip? bad center diff? or just rust. ill upload some pics tomoro so u guys can get a better idea on what it looks like, for some reason my computer is gay and doesnt let me.

Terry Posten

The teeth on my output shaft were pointed and the female input on the T-case were also basically stripped when I had the whole setup rebiult. It happens due to high horsepower and also lack of a bit of lube on the teeth (I use a small amount of lithium Greece).

Get a new output shaft and a new T-case (should be able to find a good used set for around $100-125) and call it good.

MellowVR4

yeah but i gotta take off my tranny to do that which sucks. i also wouldnt just change the shaft if i take the trans out,ill change the clutch while im at it. but ill post pics tomorow so u can see what the condition of the shaft looks like

fuel

nah you don't - you just pull the end case off, remove center diff and viscous coupling unit, and remove the shaft and re-fit new one.

MellowVR4

I've never done that. Is their some type of thread or something that shows a how to on how to do this.

moduleunknown

It really is as easy as stated above.

Remove the end cover from transmission
Remove the viscous coupling
Remove the ball bearing that holds the shaft in place
Slide the shaft out towards the engine.

Here are pics of a 2g gsx tranny to give you an idea of what it will look like. Click here

MellowVR4

nice, yeah it dont look that bad. im gona give it a try, just hope my center diff is ok and didnt cause this to happen. because my gvr4 is completly stock so not much power, and i havent launched at all in this car.

pauleyman

Quote:
, remove center diff and viscous coupling unit

You do not have to remove the center diff. You couldn't unless you removed alot of other stuff. Remove end case and viscous coupling. Also in the end case are the reverse synchro and wavy washer. Don't lose those. Don't lose the retaining ball under the viscous coupling either. Easy 20 min swap.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting MellowVR4:
nice, yeah it dont look that bad. im gona give it a try, just hope my center diff is ok and didnt cause this to happen. because my gvr4 is completly stock so not much power, and i havent launched at all in this car.

it's really easy. i've done it on the side of the road before.

MellowVR4

wow sounds pretty easy, so nothing really causes this just worned out over time??? or did something get seized up in their.

MellowVR4

i havent counted yet them yet, but does anybody know what spline count the 91 gvr4 transfercases have. case is all aluminum. otherwise ill check it when i get home today.

Terry Posten

From what I recall, all aluminum cases were 22 spline but because you need to replace both your output shaft and case, it does not matter what spline count you get as long as they are both the same count.

The output of the case is always the same count for the driveshaft.

MellowVR4

I was wondering about that. Ok so I guess I'm lookin for a decent transfercase and a shaft. I'll try looking for one locali first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned