The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

so i just replaced the slave cylinder....

VR_IV_MR

I replaced the slave cylinder about a week ago, and have been driving with no problems.

Yesterday, I drive out of my driveway and stop at the red light down the block. Push clutch pedal in, try to shift into first, and the shifter just doesn't move. I shut off the engine, and I am able I am unable to shift into all the gears with the engine off. I turn the car back on, and it shifts once again.

Now sometimes, out of nowhere, I won't be able to get into gear. I have to shut the car off and on, and then it works again. Theres no grinding gears, the shifter just literally won't move (except left and right in neutral).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

check that nothing is interfering with the trans end shift linkage & that the bushings are good. otherwise sounds like an internal trans issue.

VR_IV_MR

Really? FML i thought it was minor due to how it shifts fine most of the time and that I can fix the problem just by restarting the car...

89Mirageman

I would have replaced the master cylinder at the same time, these should be done in pairs. Maybe try to adjust the rod going to the clutch pedal to give it a little more travel. Or look on TRE's site and follow their writeup on how to properly bleed the clutches hydraulic system.

SouthCaliVR4

Slave & or master does not explain his symptoms. even if both where out of the car altogether it would not stop you from shifting through the gears with the engine off.

Something is either binding the linkage or going on inside the trans.

VR_IV_MR

I shift through the gears just fine when the engine is off.

I shift through the gears just fine most of the time.

Only sometimes, I can not shift. When this happens, I shut the car off, turn it back on, and it shifts fine once again.

I talked to some mustang guy and he said he had the same problem with his track car... he said it was heat in his transmission

VR_IV_MR

Yeah now it just won't go into any gear. The only gear that it actually moves a little bit into is reverse, but it grinds if i try to do that.

VR_IV_MR

as a matter of fact...

I'm going to get a few things done as well.

Should i get the extension rod?

I read somewhere that I should get a new rear main seal since im doing this.. do I have to? I just did an entire engine gasket kit with my rebuild... was that probably included?

Also someone mentioned replacing the flywheel bolts. Is this necessary? Should I just check their condition?

So, I plan on doing the TOB, TOB Clip, Clutch fork, Pivot ball, Master cylinder, Slave cylinder.

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

TOB - MD749998
Pivot ball - MD719602
TOB clip - MD706185
Clutch fork - MD770506
Master - MB555133
Slave -MD733623

Thanks
Flywheel bolts (x7) - MD302074

89Mirageman

Next time it won't go into gear with the engine running try to pump the clutch pedal several times and then see if it will go in. I had a 90 300ZXTT that did the same thing shortly after we replaced the clutch. Once the clutch broke in I had to adjust the linkage under the dash to give the pedal more travel.

89Mirageman

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Slave & or master does not explain his symptoms. even if both where out of the car altogether it would not stop you from shifting through the gears with the engine off.

Something is either binding the linkage or going on inside the trans.

I honestly can't understand exactly what he means but it looks like he's saying it will go through the gears with the engine not running.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned