The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drain plug washers for tranny, tcase and rear-end

blacksheep

I am swapping all fluids in tranny, t-case and rear end this weekend. I have the fluids from JNZ. I am wondering about the crush washers for fill and drain bolts. I assume I need to replace them. I called local mitsu place and they don't have them handy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

EDIT - These are the p/n's and sizes I have, could be incorrect

Oil drain plug washer - MD050317 (14mm)

Manual Transmission drain plug washer - MD000312 (18.2mm)
Manual Transmission fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)

Rear diff fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)
Rear diff drain plug washer - MB001294 (18.2mm)

Transfer case fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)
Transfer case drain plug washer - MN130495 (18.2mm)

Any suggestions where I can get these? NAPA etc ok? Is there a size I have to tell them? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

prove_it

I've used honda washers before, otherwise some copper rings from just about any parts place should have them or a SAE equivalent. Good call on replacing all the washers.

G

Staff member
Quoting blacksheep:
I am swapping all fluids in tranny, t-case and rear end this weekend. I have the fluids from JNZ. I am wondering about the crush washers for fill and drain bolts. I assume I need to replace them. I called local mitsu place and they don't have them handy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

EDIT - These are the p/n's and sizes I have, could be incorrect

Oil drain plug washer - MD050317 (14mm) click

Manual Transmission drain plug washer - MD000312 (18.2mm)
Manual Transmission fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)

Rear diff fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)
Rear diff drain plug washer - MB001294 (18.2mm) click

Transfer case fill plug washer - MF660036 (16mm)
Transfer case drain plug washer - MN130495 (18.2mm)

Any suggestions where I can get these? NAPA etc ok? Is there a size I have to tell them? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

blacksheep

g - I wanted local coz I want to do it this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

EDIT - I think vatozone does have the Help washers IIRC. I can match #'s up. I will go check. Thanks, G

Last edited:

turbowop

While its probably a good idea, I wouldn't bother. I've never replaced one and never had a leak...in 15 years.

*edit* I do replace the oil drain washer at every oil change, just not the trans, xfer case, or rear diff.

Last edited:

prove_it

I'm surprised you don't Mark. You can reuse them if they don't get over torqued, but it's cheap insurance to replace them. Just don't ever use the plastic ones. They are crap.

turbowop

Maybe I'm just lucky. It's one of those things where long ago I forgot to get new washers after doing fluid changes and had to use the existing ones. After a few years of doing that and not having a leak, I guess I just figured they weren't needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If you end up waiting KC, let me know. I can probably mail you some from my stock, but I doubt I have every size.

prove_it

I know I've done it back in the day, or sometimes if I do a spur of the moment fluid change. As long as you don't crush the washer to the point where you needs tools to get the washer, it could be reused.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can also re-anneal them by heating gently with a propane torch. This softens them slightly to allow crush again. Works with the copper ones, not sure if that works with aluminum though.

prove_it

I doubt it, since the aluminum ones squish more. Thickness matters too. The thin washers are definitely one time use.

G

Staff member
One of these magnetic plugs work for the drivetrain. Forgot which ones though, been a long time.

click

click

click

blacksheep

I went to autozone 1st. No luck. Went to OReilly's and found they had 2 packs of 18mm washers so I grabbed 2 sets. They are dorman and made of copper. I cannot find the 16mm ones there though. I checked NAPA and they did not have any either. Guy said to bring in mine when I have them off and try and that way, so thats the pla this weekend. Keep everyone updated.

blacksheep

I found 16mm aka 5/8" crush washers at NAPA. They seemed to be a perfect fit. So, I was able to swap all fluids yesterday. I bought one of those handy pumps and it worked great. Thanks to JNZ for the fluid recommendations and providing it! Synchro shift in tranny, Redline in t-case and a BG product in rear diff. I am putting some castrol 5w-30 in the car as well tonight. Now, I just need to torque all the front suspension bolts and car should be ready to go!

Spyder

I had an unused turbo oil return line gasket that the center oil passage fits the transmission plug perfectly. I cut it to fit and put it on. Works awesome.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned