The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Door handle has play.

Furbasher

My drivers door is very hard to open. I'm pulling the handle completely out and then some in order to open the door. It seems to have gotten worse over the past few days with frigid weather. I've never had these doors apart but it would seem a cable has stretched.

I doubt these handles are adjustable. I'm also thinking the body latch might need adjustments. Anyone have any experience?

EHmotorsports

spray some silicone grease in the latch where the door striker hits. work it a good amount of times. just needs to be lubed

cheekychimp

Quoting Furbasher:
My drivers door is very hard to open.

I'm also thinking the body latch might need adjustments. Anyone have any experience?

Are the rubber/plastic covers on the metal body latch really badly worn/damaged or missing?

If they are, then it could be that the latch is closing over them further than it is supposed to due to the decreased diameter. You wouldn't think it makes much difference but it does and can make opening the door very difficult. I had exactly the same problem! I replaced all four latches on both of my cars and I have never had an issue since. They were expensive for what they are but a door that doesn't open properly is such a pain that I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

strokin4dr

^ I agree with Paul completely on the above post. I car I picked up last year had this issue. Made it difficult to close the door too!

Furbasher

The latch seems to have quite a bit of damage on one side. I haven't tried yet, though I was thinking about just flipping the latch upside down. flipping the used side with the unused side... I'll give it a shot tomorrow and update.

IMG_0858.jpg

mcbride89

Paul, did you get your latch from the dealership? My driver door latch is shredded on one side and makes closing it the biggest pain in the ass.

cheekychimp

Yes OEM Mitsubishi. You are going to ask for a part no. aren't you? I've got no idea mate but I know they are not NLA in HK yet.

ade

can these just get flipped? worn part on the inside...

Quoting Furbasher:
The latch seems to have quite a bit of damage on one side. I haven't tried yet, though I was thinking about just flipping the latch upside down. flipping the used side with the unused side... I'll give it a shot tomorrow and update.

IMG_0858.jpg

mcbride89

Yeah I called the mitsu dealer yesterday and the parts guy told me they're NLA. Also said for drivers door when they were available, they were 94 dollars each -__-

strokin4dr

Tightly wrapping the metal part with electrical tape to mimic the size it should be has worked on my passenger door for over a year. Do it cleanly and its not even noticeable.

Furbasher

I flipped my Body latches upside down tonight. Seems to work great! Doors open up much much easier.

Worth a shot and is cheaper then new latches. My next approach would have been tightly wrapped electric tape.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Out of curiousity, have you pulled up on your door hinges for me? Do they have play, top and or bottom??

When you have play in the hinges, you are going to continually hit the striker, and crack that plastic wrap on the striker bar.

I recently purchased new hinges, and when they go on, I got some door striker bars that were in perfect shape, to install back in place.

Furbasher

I lubed the hinges but they seemed to be in good condition. No free play in them. When I flipped the body latch I also adjusted it in more towards the door and I think that played the biggest part.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned