The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does my turbo require an o-ring???

prove_it

I'm no expert, but I think that when welding the aluminum elbow on there wouldn't be enough heat to warp it. I know with a TIG weld its very localized heat and won't warp aluminum.

Sounds like you have a small hairline crack. Also where the bolts go in, I would put RTV on the bolts to seal up the threads, it could be pushing past the bolt.

MellowVR4

I dont believe so??? But I will defently check when I take it apart again.

James

*plug*

I'll be putting my evo3 16g up for sale soon if you're looking for a cheap(er) replacement turbo.

MellowVR4

Quoting prove_it:
I'm no expert, but I think that when welding the aluminum elbow on there wouldn't be enough heat to warp it. I know with a TIG weld its very localized heat and won't warp aluminum.

Sounds like you have a small hairline crack. Also where the bolts go in, I would put RTV on the bolts to seal up the threads, it could be pushing past the bolt.

Their is only one bolt that goes threw the housing which I have sealer on that one for sure. It was tig welded, if i cant make this work i might need a 16g or, im gonna weld that seam, I know i wont be able to take it apart after that, but oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MellowVR4

Quoting James:
*plug*

I'll be putting my evo3 16g up for sale soon if you're looking for a cheap(er) replacement turbo.

PM me the price, maybe I might have to do that. Also give me some background on that turbo's past history, miles and boost ran on that turbo etc etc...

prove_it

I would try one last effort to seal it. Apply RTV EVERYWHERE air could be pushing past.

I would wash it really good and use a flashlight to look for cracks.

Remember, air can follow a path so the leak may not be exactly in line with the bubbles. I would seal the crap out of every bolt, the mating surfaces and anywhere and everywhere. Then let it cure all night long. All night long.

Do that and if it leaks, then yea weld it up or replace it.

marvinmadman

Welding sounds a bit extreme. Maybe a good silicone/windoweld, but no welding.

Street Surgeon

When I applied the sealant I just used a small amount and smeared it on the areas pictured below. I followed the tubes instructions and let it cure for a few minutes and then put the housing back on. To be perfectly honest with you unless it is really, really leaking I would just run the turbo as-is. The old school garrett turbos (T04Z / T67 etc) used no o-ring/seal of any kind and it was normal for them to leak a small bit right out of the box. Boost leak test it to 30/40psi and if it's just a small hiss you're fine.

Oh, and 400 grit sandpaper? To properly seal up I would have used at *least* 600 grit, then clean w/coffee filters and rubbing alcohol!

Make sure you're smearing where the red lines are, and don't over do it, just a little works fine!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned