The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does my turbo require an o-ring???

MellowVR4

Well did a boost leak test and found a big one, leaking out the housing seam, where I thought it needed an o-ring before I installed my turbo. Before i installed it i took it to a "turbo" shop and showed them what I had, They told me that this turbo didnt need one. I bought it used, and the ad said it was a g60 slowboy turbo, bought it and finally got the car running and this happens. So Im not really sure if this turbo needs one or not, it sure is leaking like it defenitly needs one, what do you guys think. Heres a pic of the bubbles, ill have more pics once i take it off because im gona have to regardless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Street Surgeon

Some of the older stuff didn't actually have an o-ring to seal the compressor housing up, in that case it can be beneficial to remove the housing and smear a very thin bit of rtv around the "sealing face" of the compressor cover, and then tighten it back up. If the compressor cover was supposed to have an o-ring it would be machined for it and you'll be able to tell right away.

EDIT>>> Oh, and I'd get the OEM bolts to hold that turbo in place along with some of the loctite high temp anti sieze if I were you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Yeah i think thats what the "expert said" but you can see it leaking. Thats why im confused. maybe ill try that, anymore suggestions?

Street Surgeon

I gave you the answer.

Pull the turbo, put some markings on the compressor cover so you can line it all back up correctly, smear RTV around the sealing face and reassemble. The FP3575 I have is the same way and did not have an o-ring to seal it up either and that's what you can do. I mean, unless you want to take it to a machine shop and have the compressor cover grooved for an o-ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EDIT>>> You *could* just pull the turbo and then tq all the bolts that secure the compressor cover in place to the same (or slightly higher) tq value and see if that helped, but at that point why not just apply the rtv/silicone?

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Thanks for the advice man. ill try the rtv first, any specific kind?

Street Surgeon

I think I used a tube of threebond grey gasket maker that I had lying around, it just takes a little bit and you smear a thin layer, then seal it up!

MellowVR4

Ok, ill do that and see what happens, ill post up pics of the housing when I have it off, Maybe you can tell if its machined or not. Before I put it back on.

ghostinthevr4

I can almost guarantee it's not machined for an o-ring just do what street surgeon said and be done with it. I had to do the same to my FP3065, and so have others. It's one of those little things that nobody tells you too do when you first install something, but then you know the next time you have to do it you won't do it without doing that little thing!

MellowVR4

That's good to know, Now I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, and would never do it again with doing that. Love this board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

MellowVR4

Took my turbo off and this is what it looks like, Let me know if for sure it doesn't need a gasket/o-ring.

MellowVR4

Thanks man.

MellowVR4

So, took the turbo off, smacked some Rtv on it, and still leaks, leaks way less then before but still leaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif any ideas?

James

Maybe someone sold you a bad turbo? Maybe the housing is warped or something

MellowVR4

You know, now that I think about it, I had a buddy weld a 90 elbow on the housing. I didn't leak test it before I had it welded, so I'm not sure if that warped it, or it was already screwed up? this sucks, so get a straight edge and check for warpness?

MellowVR4

Are these housings available? does anyone have one here on this board? or know of where I will be able to find one? Please let me know. I don't wanna drop some money on a nice new turbo just yet.

ghostinthevr4

If your turbo is a variation of a Garrett turbo search here for you specific model. click Or you could also try taking your compressor housing of again a analyze what went wrong, maybe you didn't apply enough RTV clean it up and try again before you spend the money.

MellowVR4

This is what happend so far, I installed the turbo for the first time and leak tested it and it was leaking pretty good. Then I removed it put RTV as adviced, still leaked a little bit less then before but still leaked, then took it apart again and cleaned it with a razor blade and some 400grit and ree RTV and still leaks in the same areas. I should add that i had to oversize tap two holes from M8 to an m9 thread, These are one of the areas that its leaking from. So im at a lose now on not knowing what it could be, maybe the welding warped the housing??? Me tapping to a larger size hole may of f'd it up or what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Im pretty sure I put enough rtv the second time.

MellowVR4

The people that have had to do this before, did you wait for the rtv to completly cure before performing the leak test???

What about using aneorobic sealer?

Last edited:

marvinmadman

Absolutely let the rtv dry for at least half the cure time. Are you sure you didn't crack the housing while tapping the holes?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned