The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

do i need body work?

ade

I've asked around and some say contact an experienced paint less dent puller others say get a complete body/paint job done... i say touch up the faded trim, a good polish and rock as is. What do you guys think?

A lil vid for your viewing pleasure.

p.s. i had just been in a police chase and was waiting it out, so no comments on my heavy breathing.

transparentdsm

if its a show car, yeah do everything you can to make it look perfect. if its a DD thats going to see winter conditions do the cheapest fix because eventually its gonna get messed up again and if you spend a lot you'll be sad when something happens. just my opinion.

ade

my thoughts exactly, its a dd so i wont cry over scoffs and dings. i however would like to get them dings popped out, im not a body guy so i cant tell if paint-less dent removal will work. has anyone had any experience with this?

rdomeck

Paint less dent repair never works! When a dent happens it stretches the metal and the paint along with it. You will not notice this at first, but in a couple of years you will see that paint will have very small cracks in it. This sounds like it would be ok with you if this happens. The worst is that you pay someone to do that now and a couple years down the road you have to have it painted.

Noobsauce

We have a paintless dent removal guy come to the shop for customers that want a full nice detail. They do good work. Just find a reputable place.

turbowop

Quoting rdomeck:
Paint less dent repair never works! When a dent happens it stretches the metal and the paint along with it. You will not notice this at first, but in a couple of years you will see that paint will have very small cracks in it. This sounds like it would be ok with you if this happens. The worst is that you pay someone to do that now and a couple years down the road you have to have it painted.

I realize you run an autobody shop and PDR guys probably cut into your business, but c'mon dude...

For the average guy that's not building a show car, PDR is great. Waaaaaay back before I ever had 1051 resprayed, I had the dings taken out by a good PDR guy. It looked great for the three years before the respray. Hell of a lot better than all the dings showing.

rdomeck

I run a fabrication business......I have a full down draft booth and a full paint mixing machine. Painting cars is maybe 1% of my business. I like doing it and I have for a very long time. I have had years were restoration work was about 80% of my business. It doesn't have anything to do with them taking away business from me. It has to do with people not realizing that it comes back years later when the PDR warranty is long gone!

If your paint isn't in great shape then the PDR is great as long as you know going into it that it will come back years later.

turbowop

Fabrication, autobody, whatever. My point is that most people on here are dealing with 20+ year old original paint and just want a couple of door dings taken out for a few dollars, not drop $4k+ on new paint, yanno?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting rdomeck:
When a dent happens it stretches the metal and the paint along with it.

Sounds exactly like how to roll fenders. Of course when rolling fenders, you are stretching the metal and paint wayyyyy more than any little dent would. Fender rolling, just like PDR, when done correctly it is a sound procedure. A garbage paint job will look worse in a few years then any PDR job will, and even a shitty body shop will charge more for body work than the cheapest PDR guy will. Bottom line, quality work is where you are best spending your money whether that's on a paint job or PDR.

2000GTX

Quoting ade:

p.s. i had just been in a police chase and was waiting it out, so no comments on my heavy breathing.

Please allow me to laugh my ass off at this part of the post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ade

looking into a quote on pdr. as for the cops they had no chance and i had no choice evil-lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BadVr4

PDR FTW. dont listen to people, someone who is great at pdr will do an awesome job and you will never notice. if your paint isn't already cracked, then it should hold up just fine. paint is able to stretch quite a bit.

ade

i got a quote. Popping out 16 dime sized dings, on all four doors. $325.00, thats $20 a pop. Not bad me thinks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned