The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Do I need a new turbo?

GVR47111K

Absolutely no boost. Runs rich, and I can smell it running rich. I pulled the intake pipe off to try and see if I could see the inlet but there was too many other things in the way to get a good look so I shoved a camera down there to get a better look but that didn't work out to well either. When I put my hand in there to see if there was shaft play, it didn't feel like there was any but I couldn't spin the blades with my fingers. Should I spray it with WD-40? The turbo is supposedly a 16G, according to the p.o. and it has XS Power stamped on it. Unknown miles. Did this turbo give up the ghost or am I just being a newb?

SouthCaliVR4

sounds like you siezed the turbo or something went through & locked up the turbine. you need to pull some stuff get a better look.

GVR47111K

I had a shop rag in the IC piping to block anything from getting in there but could that be what did it?

SouthCaliVR4

I would think only if you left it in there, wich has been done on more than one occasion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. This turbo was working before & after a sit seized up?

GVR47111K

I remembered to take it out after. The reason I had it in there was because I took off the IC piping to swap exhaust manifolds and the rag was in there so nothing would get in the turbo. Now finally I'm back to driving it but the turbo won't spool and it did before. So yes, it worked before and now I guess it is seized and won't spin.

Okayplayer

It sounds like you need a new turbo. Xs power is a china market turbo and those often prove unreliable. I had a cx racing turbo and it lasted all of 6k miles be fore it ate itself. I would def go with a reputable brand the next go around. I know there are quite a few mhi turbos on cl right now. So you can get one cheap until u make a choice of your next turbo.

GVR47111K

Got anything lying around? Maybe I'll post up a wtb. How about these:? 16G hmm... garrett another

Those are all pretty similar priced. I don't mind paying a little extra for something that is gonna last. Which looks to be best bang for my buck?

Thanks.

AnotherNewb

If you want bolt on, the fourth one you linked is the only one. The first 16g has a welded shut waste gate, the second turbo is an EVO 8 and the whole "Normal shaft play for a journal bearing turbo with no oil" sounds more like "I don't know what normal shaft play is but the interwebs says its okay", the third has "I have no idea what this turbo is because I got it from a friend that got it off of ebay" written all over it.

Keep looking, you will find a deal on a reliable bolt on turbo that will get you up and running again. Just remember, when you leave the MHI realm of turbos, it takes a lot more money to "bolt" them on.

Hondakiller

Quoting GVR47111K:
Got anything lying around? Maybe I'll post up a wtb. How about these:? 16G hmm... garrett another

Those are all pretty similar priced. I don't mind paying a little extra for something that is gonna last. Which looks to be best bang for my buck?

Thanks.

Them turbos are all different. Is the car manifold and down pipe factory?

GVR47111K

2g exhaust mani. 3 inch full all the way with cat. I saw some more deals on craigs today, I'll post them later. Thanks for the input and insight everyone.

AnotherNewb

The first one is a 12b turbo... not much more boost than a hair dryer
The second one isn't going to just bolt on... Its a different bolt pattern than a DSM not to mention it is a VGT turbo.
The third one is acceptable
The fourth one is Ebay junk.

GVR47111K

Well it looks like I'll take a look at the third one in person and maybe pick it up. Thanks.

GVR47111K

It sold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned