The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new turbo?

hey, I'm looking at a 91 VR-4 selling for 1,700, it needs a new rear door and a couple odds and ends to be replaced, so normally i would jump on this. but the guy said the turbo was burning oil. first thought is to run, fast and far, but then i got wondering how worth my time and money is it to replace/rebuilt the turbo? cost? time? or just a new turbo?

thanks, new to the game here

Andrew

mikus

First time turbos on higher mileage engines typically lead into side issues (most common is head studs & turbo studs breaking - but you never know what you might find/break during the work) It's very doable though, and 2nd time turbos (your 2nd time, or 2nd turbo on car meaning all the junk was broke loose before) is a breeze.

You want a 'big' or 'Evo3' 16G turbo, figure $350 used or $525 new plus $100 in parts to get the basics done (head studs, turbo bolts, gaskets, etc). You should go to a bigger exhaust mani and o2 while you're in there, you'll be very glad you did later. +$150-250 depending.

Call Aneil at Forced Performance and mention the $499 sale price he ran in '09, see if he can hook something up

Last edited:

Trust me you are still very far from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would get him to go down a little. I paid 2000 and the car is in perfect shape except lack of maintenance issues. Make sure you do the proper maintenance first before anything. These guys on here can help alot.

Last edited by a moderator:

awesome, thanks a bunch, ill keep it in mind for sure. priced a 16G Turbo out at $450 out of BC new, so that was better than i thought.

Just use good judgement because it could be more than that. You can most likley get it for cheaper then use the rest of the money to get it running right. Goo luc

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Nice try! You almost learned how spell check works.
Hint:
I'd probably take some more advise before giving it. Just a thought

mikus

B16G is good - but if you can land the E316G for $50-100 more it would be a good return.

Diego

I bought my galant for 1,200 bucks cold cash, if I were to pay 1,500 it would have come with a nice set of rims Rota's or something another. But rims are not a priority, a car is only worth what your willing to spend on the car and the repairs truthfully.

If you want a more in depth price as DR1665 on here.

I've got a small,big and evoIII 16g's, the e3 is on a 2g mani with a minor hog job on the manifold and o2 (current setup).....interested shoot me a pm.

Turbos are very simple to remove.
Take the air inlet piping off to the turbo, remove 4 long bolts well 2 long ans 2 medium lenth. I believe there 16mm..? And there is a oil drain line that hooks to the pan, also..... if your reduing this... go to mitsu and get NEW copper crush washers (for gods sake do not reuse these, it will leak and you will have bad turbo failure, aske me how I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif)
Remove the banjo bolt from the head, don't looose this or strip it, that bolt cost 26 bucks from mitsu.
And viola your turbo is out, notice how I left out the fun you will experience... don't worry its not that bad. Very simple

Edit: I also have a SBR 50 trim but your not close on your build to do this..

Last edited:

belize1334

Honestly the stock turbo (14b) is highly under rated. Check out Nate Crisman's 11.9 second 1/4 mile on a 14b. People start upgrading right off the bat but I don't think it's indicated for what you're trying to do. You could easily find a used good condition 14b for ~$100 and to get the car on the road. Then if something comes up during the swap (manifold, o2 housing, etc) you're still in a position to cover it because you didn't blow $400 on a turbo. That's what I'd do and then maybe down the road think about upgrading depending on your goals.

well thanks for the input on the Turbos guys, but when i bought the car he threw in a new small 16G turbo and a set of racing cams. those will be going in next weekend, paid 1,500 for everything. an extra 400 for a spare body and im back to stock, it was tubbed out from the B post back, (insert shriek here). so a few weekends wrenching and it will be back in good shape. unfortunately Alaska isn't very good at all for scrap yards and access to used parts, but luckily i found this body.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned