The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Issues with my turbo...

Captn

So last night I was driving, kind of fast ( I was in a hurry ) around 5.5k in 2nd and 3rd ( still under the speed limit) at 10psi was working fine. The next light I was driving normally and I hear this whistle a little bit like a rattle sound, a friend of mine told me to look at my turbine wheel. I checked the turbo there is normaly shaft play and the turbine spins fine. Currently it wont boost at all not 1 pound, and it makes this noise at around 2.2k up. Any thoughts? everything is hooked up fine, I didn't see any holes in my IC piping at all or anything loose or not connected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:

same thing happened to my conquest. my lock nut on the wastegate actuator had come loose, the wastegate was all the way open. i had to unbolt the wastegate from the turbo to get it back cause it opened too far. id check that out. and your vacuum lines too. u sure your oil pressure is at spec? my faulty gauge on my conquest left me with a rattle from the turbo, now im rebuilding an engine..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

i pulled the pigtail to my coilpacks and had a friend crank the motor for a few seconds while i held the oil feed line into a bottle, not sure if this is an appropriate process, lol, but i had zero oil to mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gifand that was a brand new turbo.

Captn

I will see what I can do, I am at work till 1 so I can't do anything till then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes

If the compressor (intake side of the turbo) spins freely and doesn't not have execessive play it is probably fine, and so is your oil pressure. If your oil pressure was bad you probably would have seized the motor by now. That's not to say it is impossible for the turbo feed line to get clogged, but still.

You probably have a large boost leak, or possibly the wastegate actuator rod fell off the wastegate arm. The later is very easy to check. Just visually inspect and you will be able to tell if the waste gate acturator rod is still attached to the wastegate arm.

You will need to do a boost leak test if that is not the problem.

Captn

There was side to side shaft play the turbine was scrapping the turbo housing, probably bad bearings tearing it apart today with a friend. It was dark and cold the night it happened I couldn't really see anything.

Last edited:

Galantvr4559

Similar thing happened to a friend. His oil line was clogged and snapped the shaft inside the turbo. If compressor is hitting housing take off o2 housing and check turbine wheel for free spin.

Galantvr4559

It would be wise to put a new oil feed line on too just in case. Before u pull turbo start car and check for oil pressure at the head who cares about the turbo its fubar. If no oil pressure after starting it at the head u may have other issues. I had a similar thing happen to me but luckily I had a mech oil pressure gauge so I knew when to shut it off. Still siezed up intake cam and had to replace the head, oil pump/front case, stub shaft. Stub shaft fell into the pan and lost oil pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned