The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Difference between 91-92

Boos929

Are there any differences between 91gvr4's and 92gvr4's ?

Number996

I don't think so. And FYI i believe if your badge number is x/1000 and it's the original badge, you sir have a 1993. X/2000 is 1991/92

JNR

^^^That is not correct, as no VR4's for 93; see below

Mostly cosmetic and the #'s (91 = xxxx/2000; 92 = xxxx/1000...some were not numbered and some were duplicated (#'s) and according to some, there were 9 additional was it (for a total of 3009 imported to US), with the 91's having chrome grill and a mesh, 92's a body colored and slats; taillights are different and on 91 the VR4 is on pass side trunk lid, whereas 92 has VR4 on taillight area. 92 has chrome body molding strip and 91 has a black one is it (can't recall the color). They also had different oem wheels between the years. 92 you could get kensington grey.

As for powerplant, drivetrain, interior and so on, they are pretty much the same.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I know of a few differences. Mostly cosmetic, and some others you'd probably never notice. Taillights, grille, wheels, badging, and color availability are the most obvious. Bumpers, interior, trim pieces (aside from the aforementioned) and body cladding, as well as sheet metal, are all 100% identical. Options were all the same, i believe. The only non-cosmetic thing i know of that is different between 91 and 92 is the ABS system. Tooth count is different between the 2 years.

fuel

might be worth mentioning that the early 91s may have the 22-spline iron headed transfer case while later 91s and almost certainly all 92s have the 23-spline alloy headed transfer case - at least that's what I understand anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

DDM

92 is newer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

^^and better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JCorbo25

Quoting fuel:
might be worth mentioning that the early 91s may have the 22-spline iron headed transfer case while later 91s and almost certainly all 92s have the 23-spline alloy headed transfer case - at least that's what I understand anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard so many variations on this that there is no certain way to tell, especially on an older car (could have been swapped at some point). I've resolved that I won't know my spline count until I pull and count.

Only minor cosmetic exterior changes between the two.

fuel

whoops I meant the other way around. 22-spline is all alloy while 23-spline is iron headed. My '91 JDM Evolution has the iron head 23-spline unit.

raptorWagon

However if it was swapped out and lucky enough, could end up with all aluminum 23 spline. There's a another thread on that matter in the tech section, just have to search for it.

DR1665

Quoting JNR:
^^^That is not correct, as no VR4's for 93

Well, sir, if we're going to get into semantics, the GVR4 was available across three generations, from 1988 to 2002, so there was a 93 GVR4 - just not in North America. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And, since I'm feeling particularly saucy, I'd just like to remind everyone that an Evo X without AWD is actually a Galant Fortis, which would mean it's really a Galant VR4.

EDIT: PS - Ryan's VR4 page (linked at the bottom of every page on this forum, by the way) is a great little resource for newbies to explore. There is a LOT of good info right there.

Last edited:

fuel

the current gen Lancer is only called the Galant Fortis in Japan, it's still known as the Lancer in every other market. It still uses the Lancer chassis number naming convention (CYxx/CYxx) instead of the Exxx Galant naming scheme. It's grown to Galant dimensions in size yes, but much the same was the Civic is now the size of a 10 year old Accord etc.

mitsuturbo

22 spline Tcase in the VR4 is pretty rare, from what i have seen. I've worked on and owned a few 91's and I've never seen this, myself.

raptorWagon

^1350 was a 22 spline and apparently 1051 was too.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

Quoting mitsuturbo:
22 spline Tcase in the VR4 is pretty rare, from what i have seen. I've worked on and owned a few 91's and I've never seen this, myself.

#108 is too, and I have a spare from my 90 Eclipse GSX

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned