The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

deleting power steering?

dsm5062

I was curious to see if anyone has deleted the power steering on their vr4? I haven't been able to find anything through searching, I wanted to see how the steering and handling is without it. I plan on driving it mainly as a weekend car but I still want it to be driveable and manueverable on the roads its not just a track car. So please post up any experience or feedback

Jason G.

I had one on 96. I think there was nearly one turn more to full lock. I thought it was a bit of a pain at parking lot speeds compared to other manual racks. It cleaned up the engine bay nicely though.

FTR, I didn't have the greatest tires on the car either.

Last edited:

dsm10o0

I daily drive 705 without power steering. The first couple days if the tough part which is getting use to but once your use to it, it isnt that bad. My tire pressure used to be 30 psi on all 4 with power steering and now at 40 psi on all 4. It made it ALOT easier! Especially when making a U-turn. This was supposed to be my weekend/fun car but still fixing my gf car we were suppose to use as a daily

Last edited:

uggghhh long wheelbase with no PS? not my cup of tea.. its not like its a particularly un responsive steering system to begin with.

on the other hand after driving it around for a month or two if your single you will have improved your sex life.....

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

If you use the dsm non power rack & flip the upper strut mounts 180 You'll be good to go. though loosing the caster will make the car a bit twitchy it's still a better route than over-inflating the tires.

Last edited:

EMX5636

I had a manual rack in 108. Left it in there for about 6 months before I got tired of it and put a DSM power rack setup back in the car. I didn't mind the manual steering in my Eclipse, but in my full weight (A/C included) Galant, it just wasn't pleasant to drive around daily.

But I did have 225-45-17 RE070 tires which are sticky icky.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned