The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

"Crank walk" Myth or Fact

Quoting donniekak:
Crankwalk is so over rated

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fivestardsm

Just keep telling yourself that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

Well lets say 2 in 50K. I bet if everyone on this board went to there cars right now and checked properly there is crankwalk present and over half are past max spec's. These turds are getting old. Not to many under 120K cars left, and most are on there 3 or 4th owners

Max I believe is .008 thats a **** hair people, research the numbers someone and verify for me.

Signs are clunk clunk when accelerating or decel. Like a lash in the gearbox or a diff.
Clutch want disengage or disengages weird or want stay in adjustment

Main reason Bullshit clutch and pressure plate design. You push in the clutch and start the car the load is almost double on a ACT/clutchnet etc. That heavy spring dry starts by pushing the crank against the thrust it wears....either the crank and thrust or just the thrust.

Remedies for this is to climb under the dash and pull the plug on the clutch switch and never start the engine with your big ass size 13 on the pedal. Also buy a dual disk. They will last 3 times or more than a upgrade stage 97 unit and will not slip so want wear like a slip-o-matic stage 97 either. Most upgrade clutches are just extra springs on a pressure plate and nothing is changed about moments of inertia, flucrum points etc.

If you want to check if you have walk/thrust wear its not hard with a friend and a dial indicator. Have your buddy hold in the clutch and while he/she is holding in on the clutch take a 2x4 and wedge against the side of the frame and push the crank in towards the trans. Set indicator to 0 then push it back out with a pry bar between the pan and the balancer. Don't measure at the outside of the balancer since its mounted on a rubber ring. measure the center of the retaining bolt.... Read the numbers.......Goodluck. I bet there's more than 20 this weekend that find they have more than max play......

When mine died and I said ground up time it had like .090 play on the end of the crank in and out and destroyed the new dual disk clutch disks that were only a few weeks old. Play was so much I didn't need my dial indicator and mag base under the car to tell....
It can happen to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Now for the people that realize they have this disease

Welcome new Jackstand ballers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't make my mistake, climb under the car and just replace the mains and put it back together. Don't say its going to get the crank polished, head ported, flux capacitor upgraded, GT87R, MR fusion on the trunk etc. If you tear it down you will become a JSB and Adolf will send you from the conference room for over a year.

THEKID

i had 416/2000 for two weeks before it sh*t the bed. crank went for a little stroll. i think thats why my build is so extreme.

on a side note curtis did the package arrive yet?

fivestardsm

img.php

4wheelsqueal

Had my '97 gsx for three days when the tranny blew. pulled the tranny off and you could pull the flywheel out of the engine an 1/8th of an inch. stock clutch. no act. bone stock. dropped '90 6-bolt in and no problems. that's my .02.

Ah yes, 6 bolt crankwalk. It took me a while to figure out why the clutch engagement point changed after I made a left hand turn. Oh, and also why the idle dropped a few hundred rpms when I pressed the clutch pedal. Sucks, but it does happen.

Quoting curtis:
If you tear it down you will become a JSB and Adolf will send you from the conference room for over a year.

Best. Video. Ever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

KT

Quoting crankwalk:
Quoting donniekak:
Crankwalk is so over rated

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

...and harmless

donniekak

SHHHH, if you don't talk about it, it's not real. Pavlov trained dogs to eat at the ring of a bell, 2g dsm owners are trained from birth to say "crankwalk is over rated" at the mention of crankwalk.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned