The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Building motor

LordAthey

I am going to start building this other block i have. I want about 400 to 450 hp in it as it will be a daily driver for the warm months and when it gets cold i will be driving my old beater truck. Should i go with a stock crank 1g rods, 2g pistons, 20g turbo? I'm not quite to sure whats the best setup for this. I just need some peoples opinion on this.

Thanks,

Scott

alansupra94

1G rods and 2G pistons will hold up to around 500hp. 20G turbo would get your to 450hp as well.

ARP headstuds and an MLS headgasket would be nice too considering the amount of boost you will be running.

nickbuilt

thats a good block setup also a built head would compliment that very well some valve springs and titanium retainers,black nitrate valves,bronze guides a mild p&p but if thats out of your budget at least just valve springs and titanium retainers!

-nick

And if your doing the head, might as well throw in some revised lifters.
When doing the block, it's always wise to replace your water and oil pumps, and I would do a BSE kit also, followed by ARP hardware and definitely a MLS.

Last edited by a moderator:

mountaineerjeff

youll definitely be able to make that power on that bottom end. im not sure how much stuff you want to send ^^^^ 'through' ^^^ your motor but if you willing to THROW some money at it then look into cams a well. used 272s will help alot and be semi affordable
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edit* haha i caught it before you could change it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

alansupra94

Well if the head is fine, you don't really need all that other things. I was talking to a few people at Slowboy Racing and they made 500hp on stock valvetrain. Maybe some new valve stems if you have alot of miles on it.

I mean the only time you want to build a head is if you are going to be revving high or building a full race motor. Everything listed thus far is pretty much stock parts.

You may want to look into 272 camshafts as they might be too large for your applications. Also there are threads on dsmtuner regarding the 262/272 combo.

quoting mountaineerJeff:
edit* haha i caught it before you could change it

Haha Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Very funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Good one though. I just thought you made the same mistake. iPhones think they know what you want to type.

LordAthey

Thanks for the input guys for sure going with this setup and getting my head redone. Now just one more question where is a good place to buy a stock crank, 1g rods, and 2g pistons??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned