The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

COP Reliability

theevozero

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DynastyLCD

I'm bumping this back up. All you guys running cop, what are you using for plugs, and at what gap? I got a cop setup to try, I like how smoothly the car runs now. I heard awhile ago that cop works better with the tops of the plugs taken off? Not sure if that's true or not.

slugsgomoo

Yes, the tops should be unscrewed for COP. I've never heard of someone changing their plug choice just due to a coil swap, though you may be able to get by with a bit more gap. I'd run BR7ES and start from there, but depending on your setup and fuel you might want to start hotter or colder depending.

prove_it

You can run a little more gap at lower power levels, anything over 400whp will blow out without an external ignition amp. Some have luck with tighter gaps, some don't.

Cop is pretty much a swap it on and use your old plug set-up. Unless your fouling out then I would stick to BPR7ES. If you have a little knock, then sometimes the BR7ES non projected plugs can help.

I run about 350whp on E85 and have a good clean plug with the BPR7ES at .22" gap. It's a little tight for gas, but with E85 it's happy.

I never have unscrewed the tips of my plugs, nor heard about it. Not sure if it really matters.

Read up on COP in the post call coil packs and dwell time. Lots of useful info and mind blowing technical jargon regarding COP.

transparentdsm

when i had my COP on my laser i ran a .28 gap with the BPR7ES plugs on 93 with around 370 awhp. car ran great. never reached 400 so not sure over that power. i have read you'll need an ignition box for anything over 400, but i don't have first hand experience.

Gizmovr4

431 had the Curtis COP on for the last few seasons - we went back to stock ignition this year. 431 is around 850whp now and we gap the plugs to.016 BR8ES on E98 44psi boost. I would like to try a set of BR10ES next time out with a little bigger gap. The car currently has a stock ignition on it with MSD wires - the swap to plug wires was mainly for simplicity to check plugs. The car ran great on the COP and the same with the stock ignition !

584 now uses the Curtis COP. The car makes 556WHP with BPR7ES plugs gapped at .028 on E85 30PSI. Likely will swap to BR8ES plugs in the future and leave gap around .027... If it breaks up we will go tighter on the gap.

Do you need an after market box?? will it make more power with one?? is a COP better than the factory Ignition??

I can only talk from our experience - 44PSI ~ 850WHP and the car doesnt break up with stock ignition! keep in mind that this is an automatic WHP robbing car - if this car was a stick WHP would be ~950AWHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts