The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speed Density or MAF with Link V3? Which way would you go?

mikus

This is about setting airflow values in the VE table by calibrating them to MAF output. So yes, your MAF needs to be dialed in. Dialing in a MAF is easy enough, and is something any tuning app user should learn to do.

I've never read anything sugggesting your AFR/"tune" needs to be dialed in. Could be possible I guess, but ECMLink writes pretty explicit how-tos and there's no mention, when they explicitly mention dialing the MAF in and why

GSTwithPSI

^^^ No you are absolutely right. I guess instead of saying "tune" I should have been more specific. Using a MAF would only give you a way to check your airflow. You could then use that to more accurately set up your SD VE table using the readings derived from your MAF. How exactly this is done by the SD VE Adjust (SDRatio) tool I'm not sure however...

mikus

mostly wizardry

keep posting up as you progress and I'll do teh same, sounds like we're at about the same point. I started all this late last year but big electrical issues derailed me

GSTwithPSI

Hmmm wizardry you say? Yes, yes, this must be what I've been missing all along? I'll definitely shoot you some updates when I can...about 3 months from now when I get back to the states from this deployment.

turbowop

Switching from Maftpro SD and Keydiver chip combo to ECMlink SD on my car was pretty easy. After the switch, it fired up on the first crank. I was easily able to get a base tune decent enough for the 3hr drive to English Racing so that they could do a full tune on their dyno. That drive included going over a mountain pass, and it felt fine, so I don't think it's terribly difficult to setup the VE table after the initial install. Even up long grades, different outside temps, and different elevations it performed smooth.

I hard wired in my Map and IAT sensors so that I don't have any weird adapters laying about in the engine bay. I used EGRtemp input for Map and IAT for IAT. That allowed me to use the baro input for my PLX wideband. Apparently, using EGRtemp input for wideband can create some funky readings when a mixture richer than 11.5:1 or so happens.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned