The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Clutch Advice

Mac

My 92 Galant VR-4 needs a new clutch. I've researched ACT and Fidanza clutches and flywheels, but I am still not clear on which clutch is right for the car.

Currently the car is completely stock, but my plan for the car is a 16G build with bolt ons. The goal is 300-350 whp. I plan to use the car as a daily driver as well as a drag and autocross toy.

I've read about durability, longevity and quality issues with both brands. I've considered the ACT 2600, but I've read that ACT clutches have problems with shifting at high RPMs. However, a lot of the information I've read seems inconsistent and is a bit confusing because everyone seems to have a different opinion without a clear consensus. This is my first clutch install and I want to make sure I do it the right way the first time.

I have however read a number of people praise the Fidanza flywheel.

As mentioned before, the car is completely stock. It has 108k miles. The clutch master and slave cylinders were recently replaced I was going to replace or install the following parts:

OEM throw out bearing
Clutch fork
Pivot ball bolt
Clutch kit
Flywheel
Stainless clutch line

So which clutch kit would be right for my car and my goals? Obviously I want the strongest, most reliable clutch setup that doesn't sacrifice too much driveability and doesn't break the bank.
Also, do I need to install or replace any other parts?

transparentdsm

I've found that the condition of your transmission really makes a lot of difference. as long as the transmission is in good shape then a proper horse power rated clutch should be fine, in your case i'd say a 2600 pp and a 6 puck disc. should last a real long time not be to tough on your leg pushing down and will hold all the power you are looking to make.

Nabeel

If you like to shift fast & at high RPM then go twin clutch kit.

mikus

I liked south bend DF over ACT personally (similar build to your goal), and didn't care enough about the Fidenza to buy another one.

4thStroke

Quoting Nabeel:
If you like to shift fast & at high RPM then go twin clutch kit.

I'm a huge fan of the twin disc clutch, but I would never recommend one for a 16g daily driver.

A 2600 pressure plate and a street disc would be just fine. A 6 puck will hold up better if you want to launch the car often.

Eaglesfly

I agree with the ACT2600 pressure plate, however I would not use the ACT disk. I would recommend the Clutchnet 6 puck sprung disk. The springs are encased, it's a much better design, and smoothes out a lot of the harshness you would have from a solid 6 puck disk. I personally use the Clutchnet 6 puck sprung with an ACT2900 pressure plate. Works beautiful, holds over 600whp and is slippable. Mind you I had a PTT twin disk prior to this and although it shifted better than single disk setup, it was harsh and destroyed gears twice in my built trans.

KiNgMaRtY

I had a ACT 2600 that crapped out on me after about 2500 miles. I complained about it every time I drove the car. 75 miles round trip in CA traffic on the 2600 was a nightmare. I talked to Tim Zimmer and point me to the Southbend TZ/FE. I love it! Pedal is just slightly stiffer than stock and it grabs great. Would not go back to a 2600 if I got it for free, but again, I daily my car in a 35 mile stretch that takes about 1hr 45 min to get through

alansupra94

Quoting Eaglesfly:
I agree with the ACT2600 pressure plate, however I would not use the ACT disk. I would recommend the Clutchnet 6 puck sprung disk. The springs are encased, it's a much better design, and smoothes out a lot of the harshness you would have from a solid 6 puck disk. I personally use the Clutchnet 6 puck sprung with an ACT2900 pressure plate. Works beautiful, holds over 600whp and is slippable. Mind you I had a PTT twin disk prior to this and although it shifted better than single disk setup, it was harsh and destroyed gears twice in my built trans.

This guy knows what he is talking about. When he say shifts better, he means faster but that usually is at expense to the sychros that will mushroom.

I will be grabbing that clutchnet 6 puck sprung disc. I have a ACT 2600 and it works great but I will need the extra holding power soon. Is that what you use now and it handles 600whp? Would you mind talking more about your clutchnet experiences? I am just in the market for a upgrade and would like to keep my ACT 2600 pressure plate.

How is this combination good in DD driving.

Last edited:

Eaglesfly

When I said the twin disk destroyed gears, I mean DESTROYED the gears. Since there are no springs, the gears end up taking all the abuse and it showed. I stripped the teeth off 3rd gear which took out the intermediate shaft twice. I was also driving my car to work a lot and put about 3000 street miles on this clutch with no track time when it happened the second time. This is what prompted me to dump the twin.

The Clutchnet sprung 6 puck disk will give you more holding power over the ACT street disk any day. I dynoed 609whp/475tq and that was not pushing the clutch as hard as I have before. I am using the ACT 2900 pressure plate right now. The pedal is heavy but it handles street driving with NO issues. My work is 53 miles one way, and I was driving it 3-4 days a week when the weather was cooler. You will notice just a tad more driveline noise and very very little chatter over the ACT street disk. My Clutchnet is an earlier design (I bought it used from a guy on NABR) and is still going strong. My springs are not 100% encased like the new ones are, but the metal encases most of the spring on mine. I would 100% recommend using the Clutchnet sprung 6 puck disk with your ACT 2600 pressure plate as an upgrade for holding power. I've actually got an AWD 2g here for work right now that I will be doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:

alansupra94

How much do you think the ACT 2600 pressure plate with that 6 puck disc? 500-600hp?

Eaglesfly

Yes I would assume in the range of 550-600whp. I ran the ACT2600 with a street disk while making 500whp. Once I started making more power the street disk wouldn't hold up. Back then I didn't know about the Clutchnet 6 puck, so I went with a PTT twin disk.

Keep in mind, vehicle weight also makes a difference. This was in a 2950lb AWD Talon. In a VR-4 the extra weight might lower that threshold a bit.

Last edited:

alansupra94

I have a street disc in my ACT 2600 now. I guess it can handle what I have in now and see what will happen. I will see if I can find a ACT 2900 in the mean time.

Last edited:

Hondasi88

I really like the ACT 2600 clutch i just installed! if you need, i have a damn near new Fidanza flywheel i'll sell for cheap.

GSX_TC

ACT 2600 with the street disc is a Dam good tried and true setup. I run that clutch in all 3 of my cars.

Galantvr4559

I have and xtd stg 4 6 puck unsprung in mine and I daily it. Awsome street engagement and really good for race. Handle 550hp and 500 ftpounds of torque. I know its on ebay but I heard good things about them.and decided to try it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts