The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch question?

hey guys i was debating on a 6 puck sprung or a 3 puck sprung, what one would i get better torque from?

what trans do you have. i need a new clutch also i am looking at a slowboy disk. what i have heard is that with a stock trans and a high performance clutch like a six puck you will hurt the trans more but i don't have much experience with it to know if it is true or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

A alot of it is based upon the driver it self. If you go out banging gears like a honda its not going to last.

jared50438

exactly, but a tough clutch can be pretty hard on a tranny especially if you are making a lot of power. you should have a clutch rated at your power level.. or just a little bit above. i run a ceramic act 6 puck 2900 yes over kill. a 3 puck will be worse. the 2900 has a nice feel not much of a "switch" on/off feel.

GVR4_1057

The 3 puck will hold more torque due to the higher PSI clamping force. But if you really need that much torque holding capacity you should probably use an unsprung disc anyway. The drivability gets worse with unsprung and it gets more grabby with the 3 puck disc. And yes the stronger the clutch the more likely you are to break driveline, especially if you beat on it.

Quoting Sw4n3e:
hey guys i was debating on a 6 puck sprung or a 3 puck sprung, what one would i get better torque from?

A lot of misinformation posted after your question with no answer to the original question.

I'm assuming your question is related to the amount of torque capacity either would offer you? Assuming that the pressure plate is of the same clamp load and the discs are from the same manufacturer with the same friction material the answer is, they'll hold the same amount of torque. The difference would be in drivability with the nod going to the 6 puck disc because therE is more surface area compared to the 3 puck disc (Exedy is the only one that uses a 3 puck disc IIRC).

If you're comparing different discs from different manufacturers with different friction surfaces and different pressure plate, there are going to be too many variables to give you a good answer without testing them.

Daryl

Quoting GVR4_1057:
The 3 puck will hold more torque due to the higher PSI clamping force. But if you really need that much torque holding capacity you should probably use an unsprung disc anyway. The drivability gets worse with unsprung and it gets more grabby with the 3 puck disc. And yes the stronger the clutch the more likely you are to break driveline, especially if you beat on it.

Pressure plates have clamp load, discs don't.

Clamp load is rated in lbs. not pounds per square inch.

A 3 puck disc of the same material holds no more torque than a 4 or 6 puck disc if they are of the same friction material.

You are correct in stating that a stronger clutch is more likely to cause driveline failures if you beat on it.

Daryl

GVR4_1057

^I was not trying to imply that the friction disc had anything to do with clamp load. I was referring to how the clamp load is distributed. Like how snowshoes take the same amount of weight and distribute it over a larger area thus decreasing the pounds per square inch. Perhaps this has no effect on torque holding. You know more about clutches I am sure . You are the guy that works for ACT right?

Last edited:

Barnes

Theoretically, and I think experimentally, clutch discs with less material area (3-puck vs. 6-puck) have the same torque capacity. The reason being that they equations that dictate friction don't factor in surface area. Force of Friction = coefficient of friction X force normal to the surface. It makes sense really. More surface means less force per unit area, so less friction. BUT! There is more actual surface gripping, so one effect offsets the other.

Your big advantage with a 3-puck is going to be faster shifts, and less wear on the transmission. The transmission has to work less to accelerate or decelerate the 3-puck because it is lighter.

That being said, unless you have a race car, it probably isn't worth the crappy driveablity.

well thnx for all that info, i just broke my exedy stage 2 3 puck sprung, i think it was a default bc i only had 600 miles on the damn thing. im just guna g with the exedy again im thinkin.

Quoting GVR4_1057:
^I was not trying to imply that the friction disc had anything to do with clamp load. I was referring to how the clamp load is distributed. Like how snowshoes take the same amount of weight and distribute it over a larger area thus decreasing the pounds per square inch. Perhaps this has no effect on torque holding. You know more about clutches I am sure . You are the guy that works for ACT right?

The principle you're using applies to multi disc clutches, not single disc units, so you are right on that way of thinking.

On a single disc clutch the only thing that affects how the clamp load is distributed over the disc is the pressure plate spring/diaphragm itself. The surface area of the disc affects driveability but has no effect on torque capacity, only a more agressive friction material would increase torque capacity.

Yes I do work for ACT.

Daryl

i have a hairline crack on the inside of the springs n the disc, it travels all the way around the clutch, i just ent to ams to get another one but they said they have to send it to exedy and wait for them to give the clear tat it was faulty. damnit i just want a good clutch.

Judging by the transmission damage you have in your other thread, transmission misalignment could very well be the cause of the crack in the Exedy disc. In addition to the mount you're having made make sure you put the dowels that line up the bellhousing to the block back in click

Failure to install those can cause the hub on the disc to fail like you described.

Daryl

hey guys thnx fr all the help, when i put her back together im making sure she aint lose like she was before

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned