The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch issue

i need to buy my clutch. problem is at autozone they ask when the car was made what month but on ebay they have one for 75 but it doesent say wich one it is. also when looking for parts do all the engine parts fit from any 1g 4g63

All of the turbo car clutches should interchange (90-99). As for engine parts, there are some things to look out for. On 1990 cars, the cam angle sensor, coil pack, ignition control module (aka igniter), wiring harness, ecu, and (I think) the maf sensor are all specific to that year. In late 1992, they switched to the 7-bolt motor, which means that a lot of the internal engine parts are different: crankshaft, flwheel, oilpump, block and more. The external stuff should all work though.

I've not heard of a spline count difference. Are you talking about the input shaft spline count?

Are you serious?? Try some searching before you correct someone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

brisvr4

Quoting Dbossman:
Actually, you need to know the spline count. 23 or 24??

What spline count are you talking about?
All the turbo clutch setups are the same from 90-99 regardless if they are for a 6 or 7 bolt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

^^Correction; 22 and 23 spline, woops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ignore me, I was too drunk last night to be reading, let alone posting. The old one eye shut method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

EBAY????? Oh man, well you get what you pay for, are you looking for a stock clutch or a performance clutch?

I personally have a ClutchMaster FX100. Yeah its only stage 1 but its a heavy azz clutch and will support what I'm doing with my car, if your planning on doing anything more then just drive it stock you will need something better then stock, also if you jjust need the stock clutch disk, I have an exedy replacment clutch with less then 50 miles on it. Pressure plate fingers got bent so I had to remove it...

Disk is fine, PP I threw away

ktmrider

Quoting Dbossman:
^^Correction; 22 and 23 spline, woops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ignore me, I was too drunk last night to be reading, let alone posting. The old one eye shut method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ok folks, slow down a bit.
The 22 vs 23 spline count is for the transfer case to tranny output shaft, nothing to do with the clutch.
NO, all turbo 4G63 clutches are NOT the same. There is a size difference on the AWD vs FWD models.
Last, the reason they asked about the manufacturing date on a clutch is for 6bolt vs 7bolt flywheels ( up thru April 1992 IIRC for non-swapped cars ).

It was my understanding that the difference between the awd and the fwd turbo cars was the flywheel, not the clutch. The fwd turbo cars had a flywheel with a larger diameter ring gear for the starter, as well as a minor weight increase over the awd version. I know that the turbo fwd flywheel won't fit inside the bellhousing of an awd trans and using and awd flywheel on a turbo fwd car results in having a car that won't start. I.e; the starter won't engage the ring gear on the flywheel, therefore, the car won't start.

auto zone is saying between the different months in wich the car was made there is a diff size in the clutch

AnotherNewb

With these cars, I find it easier to do the research on my own for parts and just hand the guy behing the counter a part number rather than the make and model that they only made 3000 of, that may or maynot be accuratly described in the computer.

AnotherNewb

Quoting Dbossman:

That explains a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif, tried to correct you, but you were not having it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

^^ A drunkin stuper will do that to a guy. It was a bad one, you should of spoke to me that night. I wasn't spleaking splain at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned