The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch bleed

so i went to finally drive my car for the first time in months and clutch wouldnt disingage. so i went to go to bleed the clutch again because the pedal wasnt all that hard to begin with, so i did this for probly about 3 1/2 hours and nothing. it bleeds, pedal gets stuck to floor so u have to pull it back up, then u pump again like 10-20 timesand it never gets any harder. the line doesnt leak, nor the slave, or the master i checked the master inside and out the car. this is realy pissing me off, i am realy antisipating to get this car on the road today but doesn look like thats going happen. any advice or suggestions and thoughts would be nice

AnotherNewb

Clutch masters/slaves can be a real bitch to bleed. Here are my two favorite methods:

1. Crawl under the front with a wrench and a clear section of tubing that will fit over the bleeder nipple. Put your wrench on the bleeder then the hose. Now open the bleeder and push the clutch fork into the slave all the way then close the bleeder before releasing the clutch fork. Do this until you see no bubbles in the clear tube just make sure to close the bleeder before releasing the fork otherwise you just suck all that air back into the slave.

2. Take a longer clear tube and attach it to the bleeder. Hold the tube high and crack the bleeder open and lightly suck on the tube, you will be able to see the bubbles rising. Do this until you no longer see bubbles exiting the bleeder. If need be, drain your clear tube so you don't suck down brake fluid. The only downside to this one is that air will suck past the threads of the bleeder and slave, my solution is to apply a VERY SMALL amount of grease to the THREADS of the bleeder screw to create a seal.

Last edited:

i have tried everything and cant figure this out. i put the slave on car and it never gets hard, so i tok slave off and put c clamp on it with a bolt to simulate the pushrod and itl get rock hard but as soon as its on car its all over, it goes to being soft again! so WTF is going on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Use a long piece of vac line or clear tubing that fits the slave snuggly. loop the line back to the master cyl res, open the bleeder & pump the pedal till you get no bubbles rising in the reservoir, close bleeder, remove line.

Only other way is a two person job, one pumps the pedal & holds it while the other opens and closes the bleeder. when the bleeder is closed you have em pump it up again & repeat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned