The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch fork question

frank1

I have some questions about the I recently installed a 2100 act clutch bleed the clutch
when i go to step on the pedal it does not touch the floor ? At the moment the the car is not running but i have a picture of the cluch fork.

LIST OF THINGS I CHECKED

re surfaced flywheel to specs
pedal assemblely is in perfect condition
master or slave NOT leaking

here the picture can you guys tell me whats wrong

2z9ffnr.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Barnes

Is it possible to get a picture from underneath where the slave bolts up?

frank1

^^ ill post a new picture tonight^^

what if its more towards the passenger side i would have to add shims or just get a new fork and ball

Last edited:

Barnes

What is strange is that you say is that the pedal does not touch the floor. I would have thought if it doesn't touch the floor, the fork would be much further towards the driver side. But obviously it is towards the passenger side. I figured you would have disengagement issues if anything.

frank1

there 1/4 of an inch more to push i wonder if there issue with the clutch fork ?

bazeng

Have you installed your slave cylinder on the wrong side of the gearbox bracket?

It's a simple mistake that can be made.

Barnes

That one of the reasons I asked for a pic below. Even to this day I sometimes get confused which way it goes.

belize1334

The slave is threaded and the bell housing is not so I don't see how you could install it on the wrong side.

Remove the slave and then pull the rubber boot off of the transmission and then reinstall the slave. You won't want to leave it like that for long but it'll help you see what's going on. Then, have a buddy press the clutch while you watch what's going on in there. Your fork may be contacting the bell housing which will cause the system to bind. If that's the case then there are a couple of possible causes.

If the ball-fork is worn then the fulcrum is too close to the bell housing. The solution is a new ball/fork and possibly a shim under the ball. It could also be that your rod is too long. Did you replace the OE rod with a longer one? A final possibility is that it's in your pedal assembly. You could try working the pedal with the slave removed from the trans. You may spray fluid and have to reblead the system but if it still won't go to the floor in that case then it's certainly not a problem with your trans, fork, etc.

Comparing where it looks like your fork is sitting in the window to the info at the bottom of this page, I'd say you need to shim the ball.

Last edited:

bazeng

Oh I've seen & heard of some cars having it done!
They basically put them on the wrong side of that flange and since the slave is threaded, you cam slip the bolt through the other side of the gbox (block side) and screw them into the slave.

The customers were saying that their clutch was slipping. This makes sense because the caused would be due to the fork not disengaging 100%.

Last edited:

frank1

yes ****update***

sorry for the late response Ive been working on this car for the whole weekend
My buddy and I pulled the tranny out quite fast installed new fork and ball also added a shim to the mix
now the fork is right in the middle and the pedal feels like normal
what happened was that the fork and ball where REALLY worn out that when i installed the ACT 2100 the fork would hit the bell housing (from the inside)

thanks for all the suggestions

Street Surgeon

Just for future reference, the shim is for worn out and tired forks and pivot balls. Since you installed new one's the shim is actually a crap idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If it's workin' then more power to ya but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned