The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clogged/dirty injectors UPDATE

SleepinGVR4

What would cause my injectors to get dirty/ clogged? This is the second time its happened. They probably only have 20K miles on them. And I got them new from Jeff O. when I bought one of his eprom chips. Its not like I don't have a fuel filter. (Its a fuel lab filter with a 10 micron paper filter, which is actually new too.) I just had them cleaned by FIC a couple of months ago. And they are dirty again. I actually just replaced the fuel filter about 2 month ago to be on the safe side. Didn't help and it wasn't dirty to begin with.

The only thing I can think of is that the chassis did sit for a while before I rebuilt the car and the factory fuel lines could of had dirt get in them. My next step is to replace the factory line with some type of braided fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter.

Last edited:

belize1334

Did the injectors sit for any extended period of time? It could be varnishing.

G

Staff member
Your hard lines could be corroding on the inside from sitting so long. Have you checked the strainer at the pump?

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

G, thats the only thing I can think of. I just don't know how anything is getting past the fuel filter though. And by stainer you mean the fuel pump sock? If so I just replaced it with a new one two months ago.

belize1334

You could put a plastic fuel filter on the return line (after the fpr) and see if it gets dirty...

SouthCaliVR4

On mine corrosion in the fuel rail itself was what had clogged up my injectors, Have you pulled the rail & taken a look through it? Maybe check the line from filter to rail & see if it's correded inside?

SleepinGVR4

Just got off the phone with FIC. They said my injectors were dirty again but not enough to effect the way my car has been acting.

I just checked my fuel filter and that is fine.

I think I may have narrowed down the problem to a partial clog in either the feed fuel line or the return. My fuel pump power wire is still getting hot because I think the fuel pump is working to hard. click I just wish I knew which line it was. My fuel pump is also loud sometimes and quiet other times. Its usually loud when I start it and after i drive it some, its almost to the point where you can't hear it anymore. Also it might explain why it seems my fuel pressure fluctuates sometimes.

It might also explain why I've had my rubber fuel line between the pump and the sending unit burst, twice. click

I think when I have my injectors cleaned and flowing nicely it hides the fact that there is a partial clog until the injectors get dirty enough not to hide the clog anymore. Make sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The reason I never thought my fuel line was clogged is because my car always starts and never dies.

I tried to find a electricians fishing wire I could snake down both fuel lines but I couldn't find anything that would work.

Does this make since to anyone or am I to tired to make sense?

G

Staff member
You could run a test fuel line from the pump all the way to the rail and see if it runs the same.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned