The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gas tank studs

Hey guys just wondering if the studs that come up from the gas tank that comes thru to the sending unit are removable and replaceable? Tried to undo the fuel sender today ended up snapping two of the studs even after I soaked the bitch with pb blast etc. I need to change the 255's sock as I think it's clogged/dirty from years of crap in the fuel tank.Can I remove the broken studs and replace with new one's or am sol and need to drill them out and re-tap for bolts?Thanks again...
D.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Struc

You're pretty stuck. There isn't much material there to drill & tap for bolts either. Usually, the only alternative is self tapping sheet metal screws, or pull the tank and have the mounting ring replaced.

donkeylips

I'm curious if anybody has had work done on their tank and how much it cost them. I've got 2 vr4s and a 3rd spare tank I wouldn't mind refurbishing.

I had the same problem, just drilled out all the studs or places for them and went to my local hardware store and bought Nuts and bolts. I have found out a better way to remove these nuts, oddly enough I use vice grips now, the last tank i did the nuts were bad enough that they looked like blobs of rust. Ended up getting them all off with out breaking 1 stud, easiest way i ever done. Done it on 3 tanks now and havnt lost a stud yet.

Jesse.

Quoting donkeylips:
I'm curious if anybody has had work done on their tank and how much it cost them. I've got 2 vr4s and a 3rd spare tank I wouldn't mind refurbishing.

Wanna sell one of those tanks?

Thanks for the link, but I found a place in Pa that does gas tank restorations. I spoke to the owner and I will be dropping my tank shortly and shipping it off to them to be repaired and restored. Its way cheaper than a new tank and should be better than new when done. I am also going to add the sump feature for that little extra something.Here are the links below for the tank repair and restoration and also one for the sending unit wish me luck......
click
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts