The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cleaning up the wiring harness

bradrs

Quoting 89Patches:
Wow.

You two have made this in to rocket science. Guess what? If your car catches on fire nothing is going to save your wiring...

What? Milspec connectors and Raychem will save it every time. Read it on a Honda forum.

bradrs

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
What's this anti-abrasion tape you keep mentioning? Is there a specific type or brand you'd recommend?

It looks like regular electrical tape, but is a slick fabric instead of PVC. not as sticky as the PVC tape. The slick surface allows it to slide easier, where other stuff will rub through. I will have to find a comparable product to what I have.

The stuff I have is certoplast, can't seem to find the actual part number for it. But on ebay there are several ads right now. This one looks like it may be the same:

click

And here are a few similar tapes from other suppliers:

click

click

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Worked on the harness a bit today, and got the injector portion done for the most part.

WP_001952.jpg

WP_001954.jpg

WP_001955.jpg

WP_001959.jpg

WP_001958.jpg

WP_001957.jpg

WP_001960.jpg

G

Staff member
Looks good, I bet you wish you had these though. > click < Yours look pretty crispy.

IMG_0198.jpg

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I wouldn't cut corners on something as important as an injector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSTwithPSI

The wires are in good shape. The black sh*t on the wires is residue from the old tape. No, I didn't bother detailing the harness before I put it back together.

If I was going to replace the injector plugs, I'd probably pick up something like this: click

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I have a set of those. Much lower quality than the quick release you already have.

G

Staff member
They are just low quality. Cheaply made plastic and materials. Must be GM spec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

Brett looks great. i hate you. because of this i did this today.

still have a bunch of work to finish before im done. also im doing the quick release clips as well and fixing anything thats broken or cracked.

edit: i also decided instead of cutting out the harness i don't need anymore i will roll it up and tuck it away so to not ruin the stock harness. this is my solution.

then i tucked it in here

made a cover and capped the ends that touched things.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Very nice work as usual bro! Guess I'm selling the used injector clips for too cheap at $10 shipped a set? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSTwithPSI

Looking good, Shane. My only suggestion would be to make sure the wires exiting the bottom of the cover are protected from the sharp edge.

Chris, there's no such thing as too cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

transparentdsm

thanks brett, i have the same plastic edge on the bottom that i have by the brake lines. its vacuum line i slit down the middle. it flexes and bends and always stays in place. im also going to be pulling that cover back out and probably painting it black or Belize green.

ozyvr4

Awesome work. It's a big job. I've started doing mine also. I have done the engine harness and tucked it all away. I'm also doing the body harness before the bay gets painted next week. This all you will see of the body harness. This fuse box replaces the battery terminal fuses.Just need to finish running the new cable from the battery in te boot. I'll get some better pics when it's all finished.

bradrs

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I'm not sure whether to take you seriously or not sometimes, G... GM spec plastic VS JDM spec plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

He may not understand it, but there is some truth to the different plastics. Many of the really inexpensive made in China connectors are made thinner, or with a plastic that doesn't hold up as well over time due to heat or other underhood environmental issues. These are usually knockoffs of a connector originally designed by someone else. The original company will have it in a good material, properly designed to meet all OEM requirements, but the knockoff will make it for a fraction of the cost.It may not fit as well, seal properly, or be the right material, but the company generally isn't concerned with that.

And anyone selling a 4 pack of pigtails for $8 is PROBABLY using the made in China knockoffs of the original connector. They don't know it, because they are just getting the pigtails for $.50 each from some Chinese supplier. So it is just a crapshoot as to whether it is a good material, or not.Of course, anyone selling a pigtail for $15 each could still be using knockoffs, and just making more money.

Many companies selling replacement connectors now are providing the knockoffs, not the genuine connectors. Some don't care that they provide substandard parts, and others just don't know the difference.

89Mirageman

The ones I sell are used and pulled from oem cars at the local junkyard. Pulled from late 7th gen galants, 2g eclipse spyders, etc. You'd think they would get brittle over time but I have used a pick to remove the wires and not broke anything so they hold up well.

transparentdsm

and finished up and took the car for a drive.

not sure when ill get around to doing the rest of the harness,but for now it cleaned up a lot and im really happy with it.

G

Staff member
The ones I found in japan are definitely Mitsu OEM spec'd. I have seen a lot of connectors from different japanese platforms and the ones I'm selling are very very high quality. Night and day difference compared to the $8.00 set. For the typical dsm'r the $8.00 a set type are fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned